Global Distributors Collective
Background to the Global Distributors Collective (GDC)
- The GDC is a collective of 140+ last mile distribution companies around the world.
- The GDC supports and represents last mile distribution companies to help them reach underserved customers with household products that contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals. Its mission is to help make life-changing products affordable and available to all.
- The GDC provides a collective voice for distributors to ensure their voice is heard; drives research and innovation across the sector; facilitates the exchange of information, insight, and expertise; and provides critical services that leverage economies of scale.
- The GDC is funded by DFID, P4G and IBAN/GIZ.
GDC learning & collaboration events – an overview
- The GDC will be holding a series of learning and collaboration events over the next two years across East/Southern Africa.
- The purpose of these events is to create more opportunities for GDC members, last mile distribution companies (LMDs), to come together to collaborate, network and share knowledge. The desired outcome is enhanced business performance of GDC members, e.g. through the adoption of specific business practices or new business partnerships.
- We are designing these events based on extensive consultation with members, and have done a survey asking members what they would value most. Members indicated they are most interested in peer-to-peer learning, training from experts and match-making.
First event – Kampala, July 2019
- Location: Kampala, Uganda
- Date: 2 days over week starting 22 July (exact dates TBC but likely 22/23 July)
- Attendees: This first event is closed to GDC members only. We will invite all 140+ members and are expecting 30-40 to attend (with two representatives per member welcome). We have over 30 members in Uganda alone, and more than 80 across the broader East Africa region (Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, and Ethiopia).
- Members in Uganda include companies such as WANA Energy Solutions, Pesitho, Anuel Energy, Africa Clean Energy, EnVenture, Potential Energy, Sistemo.bio, Village Energy and New Cares.
- Members in Kenya include companies such as Mwezi, Livelyhoods, Pawame, Mukuru Clean Stoves and Bidhaa Sasa.
For more information, click here.
|9.00-9.30||ARRIVAL AND REGISTRATION|
|9.30-11.00||Welcome, introductions, asks & offers|
BOOTCAMPS WITH ‘GOLD-STANDARD’ LMDs
|13.00-14.30pm||LUNCH & NETWORKING|
MINI ACADEMIES WITH MILLER CENTRE EXPERTS
|16.00- 16.30pm||COFFEE BREAK|
|16.30-17.30pm||Present and Discuss Winning Innovations from the GDC’s Innovation Challenge|
|17.30-19.30||Drinks Reception and Informal Networking|
|9.00-9.30||ARRIVAL & COFFEE|
ACCESSING FINANCE AND PREPARING FOR INVESTMENT
Series of interactive presentations with plenary Q&A: