Consultant – Energy Access & Carbon Markets
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 15 OCTOBER 2021
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
HAMERKOP was established in 2018 in the United Kingdom and is a boutique consultancy specialising in climate change and climate finance, with the intent to trigger social and environmental impacts. The vision of HAMERKOP is a world where international climate finance efficiently and directly services the interests and rights of local communities to a clean and resilient development focused on inclusive welfare. HAMERKOP mostly works in developing countries, where it provides advisory services around 3 main pillars:
- Climate project certification and implementation. We support climate change mitigation projects to be certified so they can be partially or fully funded through the sale of carbon offsets on the carbon markets. We also support activities implementation and monitor the ongoing impacts generated by these energy access and nature-based solutions projects.
- Independent expert advice on the carbon markets. We provide strategic advice for carbon offset buyers on procuring carbon assets and for project developers on retailing strategies, fundraising and dealing with policy issues; and educational support on the state and structure of the carbon markets, and emerging trends.
- Climate change policy and projects. We support developing countries to formulate and revise their climate change strategies and roadmaps. We work with international organisations and governmental authorities for the design and assessment of climate change adaptation or mitigation projects (incl. ecosystems conservation and restoration), programmes and policies, eligible for climate finance.
HAMERKOP has staff in the United Kingdom, Singapore and Sudan, and has since 2018 been carrying out 57 advisory assignments on energy access, climate change, and natural ecosystems restoration in 29 countries and for 38 organisations. HAMERKOP works at the intersection of the public and private sectors, with governments, international organisations, NGOs and private companies.
We help our client design, implement, manage and monitor projects and activities in the energy and forestry sectors that deliver measurable social and environmental impacts and are eligible to climate finance mechanisms.
As a start-up and ambitious company, HAMERKOP offers a stimulating work environment. It is a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world’s most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide.
Role Description – Responsibilities
The selected candidate will support consultancy assignments in the energy sector (cooking and lighting energy; electrical renewable energy; etc.). The job consists of collaborating with HAMERKOP’s consultants with studies, analytics, and the formulation of projects in the renewable energy and energy access sectors (notably with a strong emphasis on modern energy cooking solutions) in developing countries, and eligible to various climate-related financing mechanisms:
- Supporting the delivery of client assignments: emission reduction projects formulation and certification to Verra and the Gold Standard for NGOs and the private sector; energy access and climate projects feasibility and formulation for international organisations and governments; voluntary carbon market strategic advice for NGOs and the private sector.
- Originating energy projects to be funded through carbon finance and the carbon markets: identification of credible implantation partners; structuration of concept notes and business plans; project due diligence; project budget negotiation; pitching financial sponsors; negotiating long term emission reduction purchase and funding agreements.
- Supporting business development: identification of opportunities; networking; technical and commercial proposal drafting; concept note drafting; identifying and liaising with partners; sourcing of experts; and follow-up with prospects.
- Liaising and building external relationships will be an important part of the role, with a requirement to liaise with project teams, clients, and representatives from partner organisations.
- Keeping abreast of fast developing and complex climate change policy and finance development (e.g. COPs, national and international legislations, etc.).
- Promoting HAMERKOP’s brand and credibility to external stakeholders through blog content creation and sharing.
Candidate desired skills and knowledge
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience in the energy sector or as a consultant in a related field
BSc or Master in a technical field related to energy and energy access
- Attention to details, strong analytical and problem-solving skills and ability to produce well-presented, error-free results and reports
- Knowledge and experience of climate change and energy issues in relation to developing countries gained through a degree and a previous experience in a related subject
- Spoken and written fluency in English
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to work autonomously
- Advanced knowledge of Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to supporting the team in a growing and dynamic business
- Spoken and written fluency in French
- Knowledge and understanding of greenhouse gas emission accounting
- Prior experience working for a consulting company and producing reports
- Prior experience with financial and business plans
- Prior experience with the carbon markets
- Term of employment
- This position is offered as a permanent position.
The candidate must be based in London (or spend at least 6 months in London) or somewhere in Sub-Saharan Africa (to be determined)
Location of position
The role will mostly be based in our co-working space in Hammersmith (with the possibility to work from home from time to time) and the successful applicant may be required to travel internationally on assignments or to meet with team and partners.
Please send a single PDF document containing your CV (max 3 pages) and a 1-page value proposition letter (not a cover letter) indicating the possible start date and explaining what you could bring to the team and the organisation. Send this document to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Application: Consultant – Energy & Carbon Markets”.
The deadline for submitting your application is midnight on 15th October. Due to the high level of applicants we receive to our postings, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Aligned with our commitment to gender equality, we encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
Learn more here.