Part-Time Finance and Administration Officer – Renewable World
0.6 full time equivalent / 3 days per week
Location: Hybrid (once office space in Nairobi has been secured)
Contract: 12 months fixed term
Responsible to: Director of Finance and Operations UK in the first instance. (Country Director Kenya in the future)
Dotted line to Head of Finance and Operations – Nepal
Responsible for: Finance and Administrative functioning
Renewable World (RW) is looking for a qualified accountant to join our growing team in Kenya as Finance Officer. This is a new post and as Finance Officer, you will be responsible for all aspects of the finance function of RW Kenya including day-to-day management and book-keeping as well as ensuring financial compliance of the RW Kenya activities and overseeing the annual financial audit. In the first instance, you will report directly to the Director of Finance and Operations in the UK whilst also having a dotted line reporting to the Head of Finance and Operations in Nepal on aspects of project reporting. In the future, we plan to recruit a Kenya Country Director at which point you will report directly to the Country Director. As the Kenya programme grows, there may be an opportunity to develop this role further and increase the number of hours and the seniority of the post.
A detailed job description is set out below.
About Renewable World:
1.2 billion people are still living in poverty, inequality is rising, and the world is failing to decarbonise quickly enough to avoid climate disaster. The world’s poorest people contributed little to climate change, yet they are most impacted, and least able to adapt. This is not fair. And it is not sustainable.
RW is a small but rapidly growing International NGO (INGO) helping to improve lives and tackle climate change through clean energy. This growth has been driven largely through programme expansion in Nepal, but RW has been active in Kenya since 2013, working through local partners to install 10 microgrids in the Lake Victoria Region and supporting communities to operate microgrids for household and productive use. Our programmes in Kenya are growing and we are expanding our team accordingly.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Finance and Administrative Duties
- Ensure up-to-date accurate financial records for all Kenya projects and the overall Kenya programme including financial transactions on QuickBooks and MS Excel spreadsheets.
- Prepare RW Kenya monthly financial reporting pack for Renewable World UK
- Manage Payroll for RW Kenya staff every month including all KRA and pension submissions. (Anticipate up to 4 staff). Ensure in-country compliance with the Kenya Employment Act.
- Lead on supporting auditors and organizing required documentation for annual statutory audits.
- Update project financial scopes of work monthly ensuring project teams have up-to-date financial information.
- Lead on the setting up of a KES RW bank account.
- Monthly reconciliation of RW bank account as well as petty cash in QuickBooks
- Set up Purchase Order, Invoice, Payment Authorization (PO/INV/PA) for fund requests on timely basis and track the fund balance.
- Ensure timely supplier payments and partner fund release.
- Checking of arithmetical accuracy of bills of suppliers, staff advance settlements and partner expenses.
- Advise on VAT and withholding tax on supplier payments and manage payments to KRA. Ensure in country tax laws are complied with.
- Support on financial and governance due diligence of Project implementing partners.
- Review partner financial report and conduct sample expenses verification for all the projects
- Verify all travel authorisation and expenses requests prior to submitting for approval.
- Ensure all RW Kenya operations are aligned and are compliant with RW’s financial policies.
- Logistics management to conduct any event (hotel, travel, and other required) as required.
- Maintain an asset/inventory record.
- When necessary, liaise with in-country regulatory body for seeking approval of programs, budget and ensuring its reporting responsibilities.
- Maintain and update the personnel file of all RW Kenya staff and ensure all the essential and required documents are therein.
- Support to the RW Kenya team and its project implementing partners in the procurement process while procuring the items/equipment including RETs equipment and ensure the RW procurement provisions are complied with.
Qualification, Experience, and Attributes:
- Fully Qualified accountant (e.g. one of: ACA, CIMA, CPA, CA, ACCA)
- Holder of a degree in related field eg Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 5 years’ working experience as a Finance Officer
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel and MS Word
- Knowledge of QuickBooks will be an advantage
- Good knowledge of the IFRS and Tax Management under Kenyan tax laws
- Strong attention to detail
- Good communicator and team worker with an ability to prioritise
Terms and Conditions:
- Salary: Gross 0.6 annual salary KES 1,296,000 (FTE KES 2,160,000)
- Hours of Work: Part-time 0.6 (3 days, 22.5 hours a week on agreed days)
- Annual Leave: 23 Days plus 12 days national holidays (pro rata)
- Benefits: Contribution to Pension Fund, Accident / Medical Insurance
- Place of Work: Hybrid (once office space in Nairobi has been secured)
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is expected of the staff to respond with a flexible approach when tasks arise that are not specifically covered in this job description.
RW is planning to take on office premises in Nairobi (Westlands / Kilimani area). As a one-off task, you will be responsible for researching and proposing relevant office spaces.
Applying for the Post:
Please send your CV and a covering letter (1 to 2 pages only) to email@example.com.