Program Associate, Energy Access, World Resources Institute India
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Energy
The objective of the WRI India energy program is to inform and guide India’s transition to cleaner energy. The program focuses on three inter-related aspects of this energy transition: enhancing energy access, scaling renewables among specific consumer categories, and achieving higher levels of energy and buildings efficiency. Our energy access work is specifically aimed at ensuring access to affordable and clean energy so as to improve socio-economic development in rural and remote regions of India. Through strong research, ground-level implementation experience, partnerships with key stakeholders and communicating our work, we seek to achieve impact at scale.
About your role:
WRI India is seeking a Project Associate for the Energy Access work housed in the Energy Program in India. With his/her knowledge of the energy access landscape in India, the Project Associate will support the vision of WRI to improve access to reliable, affordable and sustainable energy for all.
WRI globally, has deep experience in the energy sector and is widely recognized as a leader on energy issues. In India, we have a multi-pronged energy strategy that looks strategically at directing our tools, research, expertise, and partnerships in ensuring universal access to reliable, affordable and sustainable electricity. The energy access work focuses on states where there continues to be unserved and under-served demand.
To expand the energy access work, WRI India is working with development partners who operate in remote rural areas where access to electricity is limited. WRI India helps them identify the challenges, design the roadmap to implement the solutions and helps assess the impact of clean energy solutions. The interventions with the partners will feed into the scaling up efforts for reducing energy poverty and achieving development outcomes. The Project Associate will join a team of highly motivated individuals across multiple continents, including members of WRI’s senior leadership, to support the energy access work.
How your day will unfold:
The Program Associate will undertake and oversee a range of responsibilities for the energy access team as are listed below.
- Supporting the existing team in liaising with government and non-governmental stakeholders for consultations
- Play an integral role in implementing energy interventions and collecting data for expanding energy access opportunities in the livelihood, health and education sectors
- Engaging with development partners and enterprises to support research and implementation of energy solutions, and for capacity building of partners
- Conduct research of the energy access technologies and innovations and monitor the changing landscape to share with the team in a timely manner.
- Organizing online events, workshops, conferences and other dissemination activities as required
- Provide inputs for identifying the right technology for improving access to reliable source of electricity
- Write material including blog posts, op-eds, articles and other compelling communications that serves to translate technical material for various audiences
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Energy Access Lead and Energy Program Director in India.
Qualification and Requirements we seek:
- Masters in Engineering / Energy-related discipline or developmental studies with 3-4 years of relevant experience in energy access space with focus on off-grid and grid integrated solutions in the livelihoods, health and/or education sector – in areas with no electricity or limited hours of electricity
- Self-motivated, having confidence and independence to take initiatives, with the awareness and judgement to seek help when needed
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage priorities, learn quickly and multitask in a rapid response environment, including the ability to manage concurrent short-term and long-term deadlines
- Experience of conducting energy need assessments, doing system sizing and implementation of energy solutions is an added advantage
- Experience of working with energy vendors and not-for-profit development partners
- Good communications skills, willingness to engage with the team members and external stakeholders
- Good written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to produce high-quality, polished products
- Willingness to travel for work to different states in India on a regular basis and on short notice
- Ability to organize demanding schedules and logistics around travel for work
- Fluency in speaking English and Hindi
Salary & Benefits: 8,00,000 to 9,00,000 CTC Per Annum
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Delhi/Bangalore, India
Duration: 1 year as term hire (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover letter explaining how your academic background and skills meet the requirements of this position.
- Curriculum vitae
- Writing samples
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.
To learn more and apply, click here.