Carbon Technical Manager, BURN
Job Title: Carbon Technical Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya with 25% international travel
Position reports to: CCO
Employment period: Permanent position
BURN is the largest vertically integrated modern cookstove company in the world, providing world-class R&D, manufacturing, and carbon offset projects from our HQ in Kenya and across 10 countries in Africa.
BURN is working to create a world where cooking positively impacts all life on earth, by producing the world’s most efficient biomass, liquid fuel, and electric cookstoves.
Since 2013, BURN has sold 1,200,000+ stoves in Africa. These stoves have helped 7 million beneficiaries save over $400 million in fuel expenditures and 5.3 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. Our team of 500 people – 51% of whom are women – are on track to produce and sell over 150,000 stoves per month in 2022 at our solar-powered facility in Kenya.
BURN is seeking a Carbon Technical Manager, who will be responsible for the technical aspects of managing, growing, and improving BURN’s carbon offset generation projects. The Carbon Technical Manager will be responsible for coordinating technical aspects of carbon calculation, documentation work, and strategizing approaches for validations and verifications. Their work will result in carbon offsetting for the largest modern improved cookstove operation in Africa.
The position requires experience leading efforts for carbon audits and issuances, including a good network of contacts at the registries and at audit firms. The ideal candidate will have a robust track record of carbon calculation, documentation, issuance experience, and strong attention to detail. We seek a candidate with familiarity with the design and management of carbon offset projects including managing projects through validation, verification, and registration, and the oversight of regular project monitoring, audits, and carbon credit issuance cycle.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Issuance Process: Leading BURN’s external work to achieve on-time and in-full issuances, minimizing review round time and maximizing the efficiency of responses. Double-checking internal verification work to ensure comprehensiveness prior to submission.
• Audits: building and maintaining a strong network and good relationships amongst DOE/VVB firms, and working as the primary contact person for the organizations for BURN’s carbon work
• Networking: building and maintaining relationships at Gold Standard, Verra, and other industry players including other carbon consultants and audit firms, consulting experts
• Documentation: preparing and reviewing documentation, and mentoring BURN’s carbon team on improving skills in this area
• Validations: Leading BURN’s external work to register new projects. Double-checking internal verification work to ensure comprehensiveness prior to submission.
• Industry Tracking: Monitor other projects in the same industry to for learnings and to provide BURN with a view on the direction the space is going
Skills and Experience
• 3+ years Carbon experience: expertise in technical aspects of carbon calculation, documentation work, and
strategizing approaches for validations and verifications. Ideally for cookstove or other household devices
• Existing network in the carbon space: good relationships with auditors, other carbon consultants, and key
stakeholders at the carbon registry bodies
• Project Management experience: demonstrated ability to coordinate complex projects with many stakeholders to
deliver results on time
• Familiarity with carbon methodologies and protocols, global carbon policy, and carbon standards
• Very strong quantitative experience, including statistical analysis familiarity, database management familiarity,
and mastery of Microsoft Excel
• Bachelor’s Degree from University
• Excellent English language skills
Please click on the link to apply: Position (burnstoves.com)