Commercial Director, Kenya & Uganda – Sistema.bio
Sistema.bio, we are creating value from waste.
Sistema.bio believes that the transition to renewable energy, reduction of global greenhouse gas emissions and adoption of regenerative farming are critical to ensure a thriving world for today and for generations to come.
We advocate for a world in which waste is a resource, and farmers are empowered and productive. Smallholder farmers produce over 80% of our food: our technology and services help them be more sustainable, productive and healthy.
We are a leading global social enterprise operating in Latin America, India, and Africa. We provide farmers with financing to access waste-to-energy technology that is easy to install and maintain, includes great after-sales service and a 10 year relationship with every farmer.
We manufacture, sell, install and finance our patented biodigester systems for small and medium scale farmers to convert their waste into economic, health and environmental benefits. Our products are unique for their simplicity of use, durability and quality.
With a team of about 500 people worldwide, we have reached tens of thousands of farms in 30 countries with clean energy & fertilizer, and we are growing fast. We are on a mission to reduce 1% of global GHG emissions and transform food systems!
By the end of 2025, our goal is to have installed biodigesters for a million people with our technology where they lack access to clean, renewable, and cost-effective energy.
Sistema.bio is the 2019 Ashden Clean cooking Awards winner, Schwab World Economic Forum Fellow, United Nations SDG 7 leader. Sistema.bio is a certified BCorp and has been recognized by Buckminster Fuller Institute, Ashoka, Endeavor and many other leading awards, organizations and partners.
You can be a part of this impact story!
Your mission at Sistema.bio:
Reporting to the Kenya Country Director, the purpose of the Commercial Director Kenya & Uganda is to develop and implement commercial strategies according to company goals and objectives aiming to accelerate growth in both countries.
You’ll be in charge of:
- Driving the growth of sales, profit margins and market share in both Kenya and Uganda;
- Identifying additional growth areas and driving growth initiatives;
- Managing and growing a lean B2B team to achieve our ambitious targets;
- Ensuring proper planning and management of key resources in commercial team (cash, cars, bikes, materials, people) to drive operational excellence;
- Ensuring analytical tracking and reporting on key operational metrics;
- Achieving the targets outlined in all results-based financing programmes;
- Building a strong Sistema.bio brand and managing stakeholders relationships for both countries.
More about You:
- You have at least a Masters degree in Business, Marketing or Commercial, or any similar field relevant for this position;
- You have more than 7 years experience in a relevant field (commercial and marketing) with general management experience;
- You have strong commercial acumen and understand what it takes to build strong B2B channels, go to market strategies and scaling sales preferably in startups and high growth companies;
- You can think big picture and have experience building a strategic vision and implementation plans for a commercial department;
- You come with a network of partners and stakeholders for Kenya and/or Uganda, ideally both;
- You lead with an analytical approach to drive results for you and your department;
- You understand how to build and manage a team of commercial talents;
- You are self-driven and not afraid to gets your hands dirty by going to the field, meeting farmers, and getting things done when needed;
- Farmers and climate change are causes that really speak to you!
What it is Like to Work at Sistema.bio:
- Global company: At Sistema.bio, you get exposure to working with 3 continents and diverse cultures and people. It’s the opportunity to build an international career and grow as an individual!
- Passion and purpose: Working at Sistema.bio, you work with a very passionate team that believes strongly in working for the social and environmental impact they want to see.
- A growing team with growing opportunities: Sistema.bio is on its way to double in size in the coming years. This growth will open new roles, new countries and a world of new opportunities! We have a roll-up-your-sleeves culture where we offer new opportunities for our team members’ careers and aspirations based on their skills, interests and aspirations.
- Learning about agroecology and small and medium-scale farmers: We make sure that regardless of your background, you get to spend time in the field with farmers and genuinely learn about farming and agroecology in general and its importance.
- Work-life balance: At Sistema.bio, we know you’re at your best when you’re rested and healthy. We therefore give you generous holidays options, parental leave, we pay for your health protection and give you options to work remotely when needed and possible.
- Gender Equality: Sistema.bio is committed to gender equality in the workplace. Thanks to our Gender policies and efforts women represent 57% of the Global team for example, and 27% of our overall workforce. We have flexible hours and expressing spaces for lactating mothers.
- A team of Do’ers: We are a team of doers. You will get a chance to get your hands dirty and learn on the ground up because your ideas and execution matter.
Location, travel and start date:
- Based in Nairobi
- Traveling to Sistema.bio offices, partners or Uganda up to 50% of your time
- Starting in Q2 2023
To learn more and apply, click here.