Manager Climate Operations – KOKO Networks
About KOKO Networks
KOKO Networks is a venture-backed climate-tech company with 1,200+ employees across East Africa & India. Our mission is to imagine and deliver technology that improves life in the world’s fastest growing cities. We offer a fast-paced and highly collaborative work environment with significant opportunities for professional growth. Our core lines of business currently include: (1) KOKO Fuel, an ultra-clean liquid bioethanol cooking fuel solution delivered via a network of smart fuel ATMs and leveraging existing downstream liquid fuels infrastructure; (2) KOKO Climate, which retails the emissions reductions that occur from switching households from deforestation-based charcoal to KOKO Fuel; and (3) KOKO Club, a tech-enabled, direct-to-consumer, instant fulfillment retail platform operated in partnership with neighborhood retailers. In 2021, KOKO was selected as the world’s leading emerging markets climate technology solution by FT/IFC.
The individual will be joining the KOKO Climate team and will be responsible for technical operations, under the supervision of the reporting manager(s), covering one or more of the following scopes:
- Project Development: Conducting initial research, lead development of design documents (PDDs/PoA-DDs/CPA-DDs), validation and registration activities under various carbon offset schemes.
- Project Monitoring: Conducting monitoring surveys, preparation of monitoring reports, leading verification, issuance activities and regular reporting to investors.
- Policy Market Research: Conducting Secondary Research & Analysis, preparing insightful reports on the findings
Together with a small team in Nairobi, Kenya, he/she will manage a broad range of activities and provide full support in managing the end-to-end carbon development and issuance cycles. He/She will work independently within the Climate Operations department and operate as the single point of contact for the global New Market Team and other departments.
What will you do
- Lead Carbon research projects
- Initial Project Design and identification/development of most suitable methodology
- Develop Baseline and Project studies
- Research reports on carbon policy, regulations and markets
- Work on end to end carbon project development. End-to-end management of carbon development and issuance cycles for new and existing projects.
- Successful completion of audit and review stages.
- Supervise implementation of the monitoring plan for new and existing projects.
- Training & guiding the local team for effective implementation.
- Conduct risk assessment for development and issuance cycles.
What will you bring to KOKO
- Master’s degree in the field of engineering/environmental studies, geology, or alike.
- 5-10 years of total work experience in climate change & sustainability field
- 3+ Years of experience in positions of responsibility leading/managing various climate change projects across CDM and Gold Standard carbon mechanisms
- 4+ years of technical work experience in independently leading/managing registration and issuance cycles of carbon projects in cooking or community service sector as principal consultant or team leader (VVB)
- Fundamental understanding of carbon markets and regulatory requirements of the carbon standards, research and survey processes, data collection and interpretation, and statistical- tools and platforms
- 5-10 years of experience in designing and independently managing end-to-end development and issuance cycles of distributive/community carbon projects in both CDM and Gold Standard
- Strong Project Management and Team Management skills to deliver results under strict timelines
- Excellent writing skills to prepare intelligible protocols, design documents and reports
- Demonstrated acumen for project management: balance priorities, lead cross-functional efforts, pay keen attention to detail
- Strong leadership skills with ability to take swift decisions, set clear objectives, drive outputs while managing strict timelines, motivate and manage teams
What we offer
- Competitive salary plus a quarterly cash bonus
- Annual compensation reviews – we reward great work
- Medicare for you and your family
- 21 days of annual leave plus public holidays plus examination leave
- Hybrid working model – allowing you to split your time between in-person collaboration at one of our offices and working remotely
- Ongoing investment in you and your skills
- The right equipment for the job – a choice of MacBook, Windows, or Linux laptop