Research Consultant, Africa Energy Transitions, World Resources Institute
Please note this position is a short term consultancy role.
Africa’s role in the global energy transition is unique as the least electrified yet fastest growing continent on the globe, crucially in need of resilience investments. To ensure ambitious goals and commitments for Africa, robust evidence-based positions and leadership from the continent are crucial, requiring knowledge brokering with the continent’s key stakeholders. Africa’s leading institutions on energy transitions have clearly articulated the urgent need for data and evidence. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing and conducting analyses which answer some of the most complex and challenging questions for Africa’s power sector, identifying what is needed over the next 30-50 years to deliver economic development, universal energy access, and to support rising living standards.
They will be responsible for thorough background research and leading the design of this workplan. The successful candidate will have an appetite to grip the big picture and the systems-implications of the energy transition, while being a strong modeler with deep understanding of the details underpinning analytical work. The candidate will be proactive and able to deliver autonomously, taking ownership for delivery of the work program. The successful candidate will work closely with the energy, climate, and governance/equity programs as well as other research colleagues from the global and Africa teams to develop technical briefs that will inform a shared position and vision on Africa’s clean energy transition.
- Structure the energy transition analytical program for Africa, developing appropriate methodologies and approaches, and synthesizing insights
- Conduct long-term, in-depth quantitative and qualitative analysis (including power sector simulation, cost benefit analysis, and financial modeling), overcoming data gathering & analytical roadblocks and quality assuring outputs produced by others
- Competently build, direct and refine complex models of the power sector and energy economics, identifying analytical gaps, limitations and opportunities
- Synthesize analytical insights to bring clarity & structure on complex and disparate energy transition topics
- Formulate analytically robust, high-ambition, compelling narratives based on analytical work, refining for multiple audiences (e.g. senior executives, technical experts, policy makers)
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in energy systems, energy economics, or related field, demonstrating significant mastery of analytical methods
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant research and analytics experience in a high-caliber environment specifically in the energy field, and with a focus on African country contexts.
- Strong subject matter expertise in energy systems and international energy markets, with a track record of working with energy sector stakeholders in Africa.
- Experience in conducting and publishing research on energy systems in Africa, with demonstrable execution of modeling techniques.
- Demonstrated expertise in structuring and prioritizing a complex, multiple-faceted research work program
- Demonstrable expertise in engaging with government, academia and CSOs involved in energy research in Africa
- Superb interpersonal and networking skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others as well as independently and with the highest standards of integrity
- Proactive and self-starter, appetite for working autonomously in a fast-paced environment
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter. Resume and cover letter must be submitted in English to be considered. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
WRI Africa — WRI has been working in Africa for more than 30 years, supporting local partners and Africa governments to advance forest protection, landscape restoration and sustainable cities. In recent years, we appointed our first vice president for Africa, established a regional hub in Addis Ababa, and created a region-wide strategy. Our vision for Africa is an inclusive transformation so Africa’s people and landscapes flourish. WRI Africa generates actionable knowledge across three strategic pillars: vital landscapes, thriving and resilient cities, and institutional and economic transformation. WRI’s Energy Program – made up of over 90 experts across 9 WRI offices – collaborates with policymakers, cities, companies, utilities, regulators, and development institutions to secure a clean energy future for everyone. We focus on ensuring that people have affordable, reliable, clean and low carbon energy. In Africa, our energy access work has sought to build demand for electricity in the development sector – particularly in the health and livelihoods/agriculture sectors. We work closely with utilities, regulators and energy planners at national and sub-national levels as well as development organizations to integrate clean energy in development sectors. Following recent refresh of our WRI Africa strategy, we are expanding the energy program scope to provide needed capacity and technical support in the clean energy transition for Africa. We will continue our collaborations with utilities and policy makers across the region, providing much-needed data and analysis to influence increased investments in the clean energy sector.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills, and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include integrity, innovation, urgency, independence, and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years, and our operating budget is nearing $200 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of over 1,600 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
To learn more and apply, click here.