Senior Industry Specialist, Decarbonization – IFC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
- An average of 35% of its own-account long-term finance commitments will finance climate related activities.
- 85% of new IFC investments will be Paris Aligned by July 2023 and 100% will be Paris Aligned by July 2025; and
- 100% of IFC projects will be screened for climate risk by July 2023.
IFC’s Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services (MAS) department spans a wide range of sectors essential for economic growth and for basic human needs. MAS clients – leading global and regional / local industry players – play a critical role in manufacturing goods and providing services demanded by consumers and that are required for infrastructure, business and global supply chains.
Through its business with private sector clients, IFC’s priorities in MAS include (but are not limited to): (i) increasing productivity and access to manufactured goods and services, while supporting low carbon growth and enhancing resilience to climate change impacts; (ii) making IFC the financing partner of choice for targeted clients, in part through its world-class industry expertise; (iii) helping select local companies to grow while improving their transparency and sustainable competitiveness; (iv) catalyzing investment through our mobilization activities; and (v) developing client, sector and country-level investment and advisory solutions that can be scaled and replicated.
MAS Climate Business helps to deliver IFC’s climate strategies and targets. Our platform comprises a network of investment professionals, industry specialists, analysts, Advisory and other staff that work with MAS sector teams and clients to build and finance a pipeline of climate investments. MAS Climate Business crafts strategies, develops tools, and engages in business development to promote IFC’s expertise and climate financing products for investments in energy efficiency, renewable energy, green buildings, circular economy, climate smart agriculture, sustainable forestry and other decarbonization solutions. We help clients to set and achieve their climate strategies and commitments in their operations and in their supply chains. We look to scale proven abatement/adaptation technologies and pilot select innovative technologies that clients want to implement. We identify business models and approaches that can be replicated and scaled.
MAS Climate Business seeks a Senior / Industry Specialist-Decarbonization to support our climate work: specifically, to build decarbonization business in new areas (product, process, supply chain) that contributes significant incremental climate investment commitments and impact for IFC.
- Engage with various internal stakeholders to help coordinate the Paris Alignment process and ensure that MAS meets IFC’s corporate deadline for Paris Alignment of its investments.
- Participate in discussions with existing or prospective manufacturing clients to understand their strategies, business models and operations from a climate standpoint. Prepare questions on climate risks and GHG reduction opportunities in client operations and planned investments.
- Work with investment teams to review the climate related aspects of MAS’s manufacturing investments to analyze, quantify and document expected climate impacts / co-benefits.
- Share knowledge on the most impactful decarbonization pathways from a cost and GHG abatement standpoint with IFC investment and advisory teams and clients: We seek someone with ability to understand and present global cost curve dynamics for select manufacturing industries and their value chains and ways to achieve reductions in energy intensity & costs as drivers of sustainable competitiveness. This will enable IFC to benchmark and guide clients in their strategic & investment decarbonization priorities. A key part of this work is to identify IFC engagements with demonstration effect / scalable approaches that can help to incrementally shift industry cost curves in the medium and long-term.
- Support the development and deployment of ongoing Upstream and Climate Advisory decarbonization platforms and tools and help to craft new ones.
- Help shape new business models and help MAS teams / clients to implement climate financing transactions that can be replicated, especially those that “Green” clients’ supply chains.
- Contribute to MAS / IFC climate strategies.
- Support sector industry specialists (and relevant leads in MAS Advisory and Upstream) with climate related market research / analytics and other tasks as requested.
- Help fundraise with donors to support MAS decarbonization investment & advisory programs.
- Prepare case studies on select IFC projects for internal and external audiences. This includes sharing examples of best practice and transaction precedents relevant for MAS.
- Liaise with relevant World Bank Climate Change Global Practices for knowledge sharing, coordinate with MAS sector teams and specialists where appropriate.
- Commitment to IFC and the World Bank Group’s mission, strategy, and values.
- Advanced degree in an appropriate discipline (e.g., process engineering, chemical engineering, materials science). An additional degree or training in finance is a strong plus.
- 10 – 20 years of relevant operational work experience in the private sector and on climate change related issues across sectors, technologies, and regions.
- Direct, “hands-on” experience in manufacturing and relevant climate change decarbonization technologies, industry cost structure; and other topics for the role.
- Knowledge of industry financial and economic dynamics, with ability to work with forecasting models relevant to decarbonization, a plus.
- Strong business sense with ability to judge what motivates private sector strategic and investment priorities and implementation decisions and where to focus IFC resources to deliver results and impact in climate of the magnitude and in the timeframe sought.
- Knowledge of Paris Agreement objectives and alignment process and sector decarbonization roadmaps (especially for hard to abate base material manufacturing sectors) is helpful.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills –ability to identify issues and practical solutions.
- Knowledge of climate financing products (e.g., Green and Blue Loans / Bonds, Sustainability Linked Financing, Transition finance) is advantageous.
- Ability to work effectively in teams and build bridges across organizational boundaries. Experience in managing complexity and multi-stakeholder project management a strong plus.
- Results driven with energy, initiative, and self-motivation; willingness to travel.
- High degree of discretion, ethics, and sensitivity in handling confidential information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. French or Spanish a plus.
How to Apply
To learn more and apply, click here.