Senior Program Associate, Air Quality – World Resources Institute
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Sustainable Cities and Transport
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban focused think and do tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
About your role:
The selected candidate will work with WRI India in supporting City governments to implement policies and projects focusing to enhance air quality in cities. The candidate will work closely with City and State government officials and other stakeholders, support framing air quality strategies and enable implementation. In overall, will provide all the support required in enabling municipal action for improving air quality such as, monitoring systems, identification, and source attribution, emissions inventories, activity analysis, air pollution modeling, collect and analyze data for preparing action plans and sectoral action plans, engage for citizen participation, prepare detailed project reports, support implementation, measure impacts, evaluate and communicate the learnings.
The candidate will actively undertake research to further the understanding on air quality in Indian cities. Will prepare technical documents, presentations, data analysis tools, communicate in the public domain, engage with partners and other stakeholders to support the agenda for clean air. The candidate will be required to work independently and in coordination with team members and partners to achieve the deliverables.
How your day will unfold:
The candidate will handle a range of program responsibilities. Some of the key responsibilities will include:
Program Development and Coordination
• Work closely with city government officials and stakeholders on a day-to-day basis to further municipal action to improve air quality.
• Conduct surveys, collect data, perform analysis, produce project reports and presentations.
• Collaborate and work with partners to further the air quality conversation in the city by supporting capacity building, conduct focused discussions and convenings.
• Work closely with the team to conduct impactful research and support produce high quality publications.
• Contribute to proposals and development efforts on program fundraising goals.
Outreach and Communications
• Produce material to communicate WRI India’s Cities work in India and globally, including analytical content to non-technical audiences, media, and existing and prospective funders
• Attend and present work at national and international workshops, conferences, seminars as necessary
Research and Knowledge
• Identify research gaps, cultivate ideas and author or co-author knowledge products (e.g., reports, briefs, data-products) around air pollution/quality.
• Liaise with experts in India, global experts, and researchers towards producing high-quality research.
• Design and hold periodic seminars for capacity building and solicit input and feedback on the same.
Qualifications and requirements we seek:
• Ph.D./master’s degree in Atmospheric Science, Environmental Sciences, Urban/ Environment Planning or a related discipline.
• Minimum 04 years of highly relevant, full-time work experience in developing emissions inventories, activity analysis, source apportionment study, developing air quality action plans. Prior working with municipal corporation generating DPRs will be useful with program implementation and project management experience.
• Strong communication with an exceptional ability (through published work, articles, etc.) to write and comprehend effectively.
• Strong analytical research skills -ability to communicate complex concepts clearly, both orally and in writing, with fluency in English and understanding of vernacular languages.
• Proficiency in quantitative and qualitative data analysis is a requirement.
• A highly organized and detail-oriented thinker who can juggle multiple competing priorities.
• Ability to understand and transfer skills and knowledge to a breadth of specialty areas.
• Ability to independently lead, design and draft research proposals and studies.
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to build a strong network of professional relationships.
• Comfort working with the staff at all levels of experience.
• Willingness to travel whenever required in short notice.
Salary and Benefits: INR 11,00,000 to INR 13,00,000 CTC
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Other India Cities
Duration: 1 year (Extendable based on performance and project requirements)
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover letter explaining how your academic background and skills meet the requirements of this position.
- Curriculum vitae
- Writing samples
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
To learn more and apply, click here.