Unlocking Clean Cooking Pathways
Clean cooking is an essential component to achieving Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) Target 7.1 – ensuring universal access to affordable, reliable, and modern energy services. However, the stark reality is that progress on clean cooking access has been stymied by past perceptions of the sector as orphaned, invisible, and expensive. As of 2020, 2.4 billion people were still living in cooking poverty, compared to 733 million without access to electricity. The review of SDG7 at the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF), the SDG Summit, the Climate Ambition Summit, and COP28 will be important opportunities to strengthen the high-level political commitment and stakeholder action required to tackle the issue, including large-scale public investment to crowd in private investment; and knowledge and innovation to lower the cost of interventions.
This joint session will be co-hosted by the World Bank’s Energy Sector Management Assistance Program (ESMAP) and the United Nations Department of Economics and Social Affairs (UN DESA) prior to the SDG7 Technical Advisory Group (TAG) meeting. This session will present the key findings from ESMAPS’s new report Unlocking Clean Cooking Pathways: A Practitioner’s Key to Progress, which aims to equip project task teams, development partners, policymakers, implementing agency staff, and practitioners with the knowledge and tools required to drive country progress on clean cooking adoption, drawing mainly on the experience and lessons learned from the World Bank’s operational projects in the sector. This session will also be joined by representatives from donors, client countries, and development partners to share insights on how this report can be leveraged by practitioners as a useful resource for moving the needle forward on clean cooking access for all.
- Guanghze Chen, Vice President for Infrastructure, World Bank
- Gabriela Elizondo Azuela, Program Manager, Energy Sector Management Assistance Program (ESMAP), World Bank
- Yabei Zhang, Senior Energy Specialist/Lead of Clean Cooking Fund, Energy Sector Management Assistance Program (ESMAP), World Bank
- Moderator: Mr. Minoru Takada, Team Leader (Sustainable Energy), Division for Sustainable Development Goals, UN DESA
- Mr. Hans Olav Ibrekk, Policy Director, Energy and Climate Change, Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Co-Facilitator of SDG7-TAG)
- H.E. Ms. Rosilena Lindo, National Deputy Energy Secretary of Panama
- Mr. Paul Mbuthi, Senior Deputy Director of Renewable Energy, Ministry of Energy, Kenya
- Ms. Doris Agbevivi, Project Coordinator, Drive Electric Initiative Ghana (DEI-Gh), Energy Commission of Ghana
- Mr. Frank van der Vleuten, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands
- Ms. Dymphna van der Lans, CEO, Clean Cooking Alliance
- Mr. Jem Porcaro, Head of Energy Access, SEforALL
- Ms. Maria-Francesca Spatolisano, Assistant Secretary-General for Policy Coordination and Inter-Agency Affairs of UN DESA
How to Join
To join the event, click here.
Meeting ID: 234 117 854 716