Terms of Reference: Consultant, Nature-based Finance for Clean Cooking (CCA)
Title: Consultant, Nature-based Finance for Clean Cooking
The Clean Cooking Alliance (CCA) works with a global network of partners to build an inclusive industry that makes clean cooking accessible to the three billion people who live each day without it. Established in 2010, CCA is driving consumer demand, mobilizing investment to build a pipeline of scalable businesses, and fostering an enabling environment to allow the sector to thrive. Clean cooking transforms lives by improving health, protecting the climate and the environment, empowering women, and helping families save time and money.
CCA is working to improve the narrative and evidence for clean cooking as a significant opportunity aligned with nature-based solutions, biodiversity conservation and sustainable food systems.
Currently, USD 133 billion flows into nature-based solutions (NbS) each year, with calls to triple that investment by 2030 and quadruple it by 2050, in order to meet global climate change, biodiversity and land degradation targets. However, 86% of investment comes from public funds, and an estimated USD 4.1 trillion financing gap needs to be closed by 2050. Not only does more private finance need to be mobilised for the conservation and restoration of nature, but it also needs to be targeted to address the drivers of land degradation and habitat loss, including the use of unsustainable fuelwood for household cooking, in a more integrated and holistic way.
CCA is looking to hire a consultant to develop a call to action and recommendations for investment decision makers to mobilize capital to scale clean cooking solutions aligned with nature investments and conservation programs. The project is anticipated for a duration of approximately eight weeks, and all work will be done in close collaboration and oversight from CCA’s Chief of Staff and External Affairs. The consultant will support CCA to develop a concise report, the ‘Call to Action’, that makes the case for more holistic financing solutions for NbS and clean cooking and recommends a suite of suitable financing mechanisms to achieve this. The consultant will identify and engage key partners and stakeholders poised to take these recommendations forward and will outline an initial programme of work for implementation.
The consultant will be responsible for developing the following Deliverables:
- Deliverable 1: Develop a detailed ‘Call to Action’ report with recommendations for mechanisms and partnerships to finance clean cooking linked to nature-based solutions and environmental conservation.
- Deliverable 2: Create and maintain a partnership directory detailing relevant thought leaders, organizations and financing structures identified through desk research and stakeholder engagement to support additional thought partnership and program opportunities.
- Deliverable 3: Draft a 9-month work plan for implementation of the primary recommendations.
- Entrepreneurial approach: ability to build something new in a complex system, learn by doing, and think beyond the bounds of what is presently considered possible
- At least 8 years of professional experience, including 3 or more years of experience in blended finance / climate finance is required.
- Practical experience with innovative financing, such as climate finance, loan guarantees, green bonds.
- Experience with facilitating and brokering multi-partnership and stakeholder projects, experience in co-creation processes a plus.
- Familiarity and/or interest in clean cooking projects and enterprises will be strongly considered.
- Demonstrated experience in complex project development, management, and execution. Ability to drive multiple aspects of initiatives and projects from inception to implementation within a limited time frame.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to leverage current, and develop new, networks to build relationships and amplify access and impact.
- Effective and active in stakeholder engagement and external representation.
- Ability to plan and participate in virtual meetings that align with EST working hours.
- Energetic and positive attitude.
- Solutions-oriented and able to manage and advance multiple task and responsibilities in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Problem-solver with a proactive, no-task-is-too-small nature who takes initiative.
- Team-oriented, supportive work style, and able to work independently.
- Excellent communicator, able to synthesize and convey complex information clearly.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- High ethical standards and ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion with sensitive information.
- Ability to learn new systems and collaboration platforms efficiently.
The position is expected to be on a partial time basis, lasting approximately eight weeks, starting as soon as possible.
Work can be completed remotely.
Please email a resume, cover letter, and proposed budget to email@example.com with the subject line “Consultant, Nature-based Finance for Clean Cooking.” Selected consultant must comply with United Nations Foundation and funder compliance requirements.