The Alliance has developed strategies that both improve utilization of biomass as well as strengthen supply chains and markets for cleaner fuels over time.
Addressing all the Alliance's Impact Areas with Fuels
- Environment – Sustainable raw material sourcing, improved processing methods and increased distribution of clean burning fuels reduces these burdens on the environment.
- Health – Scale up and sustained use of clean burning fuels are an opportunity to dramatically reduce the harmful smoke emissions and exposure causing the global burden of disease.
- Humanitarian – The selection – and often provision – of alternative fuels in refugee/IDP situations is vital for securing energy access and meeting household and institutional needs.
- Livelihoods – Participation in the fuel value chain offers new pathways for local economic empowerment such as income generation from production, marketing, distribution, and sales of clean fuels.
- Women and Gender – Gender-informed fuel enterprises provide income-generating opportunities, empower women and promote gender equality.
People traditionally have had a limited choice of fuels, primarily due to availability, affordability, and accessibility. Because the fuel supply chain touches so many environmental, economic, social, and health issues, the impacts and opportunities are complex. Our fuels strategy starts from understanding the challenges, benefits, and negative impacts of different fuel choices. This foundation then supports work to improve processing, distribution, and consumer awareness to create a sustainable and thriving market for fuels.
- Improving analysis and evaluation to support partners to select the best fuel options and optimize production and distribution.
- Knowledge dissemination and partnerships to drive informed decision-making about fuel options
- Processing to increase cleanliness and efficiency
- Scaling up production and distribution to increase the options available to consumers
- Consumer awareness of the benefits of transitioning to cleaner fuel options
As much as possible, the fuels strategy going forward leverages work already done by the Alliance and other key partners. It builds upon existing research, strategies, methodologies, tools and results. Each activity is undertaken with an eye towards applying and lessons learned for multiple Alliance partners and additional countries where conditions are similar and the results could have the greatest impact.