To enable the urban poor to shape the cities they live in.
Other Organization Type
SDI is a network of community-based organizations of the urban poor in 32 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
Adoption / Behavior Change, Gender / Womens Empowerment, Livelihoods
Technologies & Fuels
Biogas, Biomass (Ag. Residue, Processed Biomass, etc.), Ethanol / Alcohol, Kerosene, Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), Pellets / Briquettes, Solar
Clean Cooking Activities
It is generally well accepted that previous efforts to scale clean cooking efforts have lacked a critical social infrastructure to assess consumer preferences, generate demand, and operate and maintain stoves so that health benefits are realized.
SDI’s, “People-driven Initiative for Cleaner Cooking and Improved Women and Child Health in Slum Communities,” has the goal of uniting and empowering the urban poor in a way that places women in a central role so that they can articulate their own aspirations for change and develop their capacity, from the local to the global, to implement public health-building interventions at scale in the cities of the Global South. This goal will be realized through the organization of slum dwelling communities – with special focus on women - to organize, design and implement clean cooking interventions at city-wide scale.
- Make use of Alliance resources to inform BCC activities.
- Make use of Alliances M&E resources and partners in order to measure health benefits of cookstove adoption.
- Collaborate with Alliance focus country offices in Ghana and Kenya in order to streamline programs and leverage experience.
- Partner with Alliance stove and fuel manufacturing partners already active in the space.
- Network female Federation members to Alliance sponsored workshops / conferences
Regions Operating In
Country Based In
4 Seymour Street
Cape Town, 7925
Primary Point of Contact
Name: Ms. Skye Dobson
Title: Director - LME
Secondary Point of Contact
Name: Mr. David Sheridan
Title: Project Officer - Energy
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgRequest an Edit to This Profile