Carbon Operations Director, BURN
Job Title: Carbon Operations Director
Location: Nairobi, Kenya with 25% international travel
Position reports to: COO
Employment period: Permanent position
Based in Kenya, BURN Manufacturing designs produces, and distributes East Africa’s best-selling, most durable, and economical
charcoal and wood cookstoves that also dramatically reduce harmful smoke emissions which can cause significant health problems, even death.
Not only does BURN sell the world’s most fuel-efficient charcoal and wood household stoves, but we are also the only cookstove
the company which manufactures all its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility.
Since 2013, BURN has sold 800,000+ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 4,000,000 beneficiaries save $215 million in fuel expenditures and 2.6 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~25,000 stoves per month and is on track to double sales over the next 12 months by expanding its successful model across Africa.
About the Role
BURN is seeking a Carbon Director, who will be responsible for managing, growing, and improving BURN’s carbon offset generation projects. The Carbon Director will be spearheading BURN’s carbon offset expansion across Africa and offset delivery through a variety of global offsetting arrangements. They will also work hand-in-hand with BURN’s world-class R&D team and 3rd party carbon consultants to bring carbon offsetting to several innovative clean-energy products launching in 2020 & 2021. The Carbon Director will be responsible for coordinating internal M&E, sales, and data teams who conduct the distribution, monitoring, and auditing of a growing portfolio of carbon offset projects. Their work will result in carbon offsetting for the largest modern improved cookstove operation in Africa.
The position requires strong organizational, writing, and research experience, as well as a strong technical background, excellent analytical skills, and practical business thinking. The ideal candidate will have hands-on project management experience and carbon offsetting experience, and strong attention to detail. We seek a candidate with familiarity with the design and management of carbon offset projects including managing projects through validation, verification, and registration, and the oversight of regular project monitoring, audits, and carbon credit issuance cycle.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Operational Excellence: Help scale and improve data capture at end consumer distribution point. Trial and scale new data capture and data management systems, develop and implement SOPs for carbon compliance.
• Expand Carbon Offsetting Footprint: Grow BURN’s carbon offsetting to new geographical territories and new products. Implement necessary data and compliance systems with diverse stakeholders across several fields and countries.
• Carbon Database Management: Coordinating continuous improvement of database management with BURN’s well-staffed Market Intelligence team, including quality control and SOP development to ensure offsetting compliance.
• Monitoring and Evaluation: Own the M&E requirements of this distribution project, including measuring specific social and environmental impact metrics through surveys and home observations.
• Carbon Offset Issuance: Manage a complex calendar of project monitoring and audit activities including field monitoring teams, reporting and documentation teams, DOEs, and BURN’s own Market Intelligence to issue carbon credits on time.
• Global Offset Market: Track global carbon market and identify upcoming opportunities & pitfalls. Represent BURN at global carbon conferences/meetings.
• Problem Solving: Solve a variety of challenges as they arise in distribution, staffing and partnerships.
• Reporting: Produce monthly reports for the senior management team highlighting performance against KPIs.
Skills and Experience
• 3+ years Project Management experience: expertise in project management and demonstrated ability to coordinate complex projects with many stakeholders to deliver results on time
• 3+ years Monitoring and Evaluation Experience: experience managing M&E in the field, ideally for a carbon offsetting project
• Familiarity with carbon methodologies and protocols, global carbon policy, and carbon standards
• Very strong quantitative experience, including statistical analysis familiarity, database management familiarity, and mastery of Microsoft Excel • Excellent presentation and communication skills – a mastery of conveying complex quantitative information clearly and concisely • Ability to work and coordinate with several teams and stakeholders
• Bachelor’s Degree from University. Master’s Degree / MBA is a plus
• Excellent English language skills
• Operations and P&L management experience for B2C and B2B clean-energy product distribution
• Hands-on carbon L experience, ideally with a cookstove project, either on the implementation or auditing side
• Language skills in French and/or Portuguese
Please click on the link to apply: Position (burnstoves.com)