Communications, Digital Media, REN21
REN21 is the only global renewable energy community of actors from science, governments, NGOs and industry. We provide up-to-date and peer-reviewed facts, figures, and analysis of global developments in technology, policies and markets. Our goal: enable decision-makers to make the shift to renewable energy happen – now. REN21 creates an enabling environment to support renewables. It offers a platform for a variety of stakeholders to engage and collaborate. Armed with knowledge and tools, supported by a culture of dialogue and debate, and augmented by new ecosystems, this community of change strategically drives the deep transformations needed to make renewables the norm. www.ren21.net Being a part of the REN21 Secretariat means joining not only one of the leading international organisations on renewable energy, but also being a part of an agile organisation where every team member participates in shaping how we make the shift to renewable energy happen now. You can learn more about our culture here.
REN21’s activities build on a broad and cross-sectoral community and are centred around crowdsourced knowledge, dialogue and debate, and communication activities. REN21 thrives for a strong integration of those activities to position renewables more effectively. REN21 is seeking a new team member who can demonstrate experience in communications and a passion/drive for renewables. The successful candidate will join the communications team (three staff, one trainee) which is responsible for delivering (and improving) REN21 public communications, media outreach, digital presence, and events with the objective of promoting the renewables agenda, positioning REN21 as a neutral broker of knowledge and growing/deepening the REN21 community of changemakers. The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate out of the box thinking and seek innovative and cutting-edge communications solutions to maintain REN21 on the forefront of the renewable’s ecosystem. The successful candidate will work in close collaboration with the other teams within REN21 and with external partners and stakeholders. This is a full-time position, based in Paris, France at the REN21 Secretariat office with the possibility to work from home two days/week. REN21’s work culture is project-based and collaborative, building on people’s talents. The tasks listed below reflect the responsibilities of the communication team at REN21.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and implement an engaging social media/digital strategy and action plan that will deliver fact-based, compelling, and innovative content in a timely manner, strengthen bonds with our current communities and bring new audiences to REN21 website and other digital channels.
- Initiate and maintain a calendar of publications that positions REN21 as a neutral and undisputed broker of knowledge on renewables and raises the profile of REN21 on digital media.
- Monitor the landscape of strategically relevant digital accounts and leverage opportunities to position and advance the renewables agenda.
- Produce content (written and audio-visual) to feed REN21 social media and digital channels in line with the overall communications and social media strategy (e.g. Twitter, Linkedin, the quarterly newsletter and other regular communications to Members and the Community).
- Regularly perform research on current benchmark trends and audience preferences and analyse/report on the performance of REN21 social media/digital networks and website.
- Identify opportunities in and outside of the energy sector for REN21 to be involved;
- Track speaking engagements of the team members and support the Executive Director with her speaking engagements.
- Conceptualise and develop written and oral proposals/concept notes for REN21’s events.
- Identify speakers and secure their participation.
- Coordinate with external organisations and individuals in relation to all event processes, including organising content; coordinating with guests and any other related activity.
- Ensure smooth delivery of online events and address any technical issues.
- Promote events to ensure the widest possible attendance.
- Draft a wide range of material including press releases, web articles, blogposts, opinion pieces and other public communications material for use across REN21 online platforms and others.
- Contribute to developing key messages and narratives.
- Provide editorial input, including review and editing, for key publications, reports and articles.
- Writes and produces REN21 quarterly newsletter and other communications to REN21 Members and Community.
- Work with external providers to secure media opportunities for REN21.
- Maintain and develop the media contacts database.
- Draft media alerts and other material for media relations.
- Address inquiries from journalists, arrange interviews and co-ordinate press launches and conferences.
The ideal candidate is a versatile team player with strong interpersonal skills who is comfortable using (and learning) cutting edge technology on a day-to-day basis. S/he will be an energetic, flexible, self-starting team player with the ability to foster a strong level of engagement across the team and networks.
We therefore require:
- A minimum of eight years of professional experience in similar assignments
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills, experience in graphic design and/or audiovisual production an asset
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- A track record in social media management and/or events management
- Self-starter with the ability to independently meet deadlines and handle multiple timesensitive tasks and competing priorities
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment
- Advanced university degree(s) in a relevant discipline, such as journalism, communications, digital marketing, political science or similar with specialisation in (or exposure to) energy, climate or environmental issues.
- An understanding of the overall energy sector and the current challenges and opportunities for renewables is an advantage.
The position is full-time and based at the REN21 Secretariat in Paris, to start as soon as possible. The working language at REN21 is English. French, Spanish and/or German are a plus
To learn more and apply, click here.