Communications Specialist, Sustainable Energy for All
Background About SEforALL
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international organization working with leaders in government, the private sector and civil society to drive further, faster action toward achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to below 2° Celsius.
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in achieving SDG7.
Former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the Sustainable Energy for All initiative in 2011. Now an independent organization, we maintain close links with the UN, including through a relationship agreement, partnerships with UN agencies and with SEforALL’s CEO acting as the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the implementation of SDG7 and supporting the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system.
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities, entrepreneurs and civil society. As we enter the final decade to achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making, partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the ground. The new SEforALL three-year business plan outlines “results offers” that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to our funding partners the impact of their support.
Context of the Team
The main objectives of the Communications team are:
- To strategically focus on driving awareness, inspiration and action by decision-makers on SDG7 and the Paris Agreement by sharing successes, best practices, tools and resources on energy access and clean energy transitions.
- To position SEforALL as the primary global platform on SDG7 and expanding our use of creative and innovative communications platforms and channels to reach the right people with the right messages at the right time.
- To support the organization and each of the programmes to identify target audiences, draft key messages and prioritize channels to reach those audiences.
Purpose/Objective of the Role
The main objectives of the role include:
- Planning, coordinating, writing, curating and posting the content of several digital channels, including SEforALL’s corporate website, campaign websites, event platforms, online platforms and newsletters.
- Supporting our corporate and programme outreach activities with communication strategies, planning, and implementation across all channels.
Duties and Tasks for the Role
The main duties and tasks of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Keep the SEforALL website and several other channels updated using content management systems (CMS).
- Continuously improve these channels and platforms.
- Lead the organization’s efforts to produce and send internal and external newsletters, email campaigns and other mechanisms, including writing and generating content.
- Write content for the website including articles, and project or programme updates.
- Implement and utilize tools to track usage, including conducting user surveys and generating analytics and usage statistics reports; use analytics and surveys to adjust site strategies for improved usage.
- Responsible for testing and QA.
- Provide communications support to SEforALL’s programmes, including developing communication and outreach plans, in close liaison with our programme managers, and leading the implementation of the plans.
- Coordinate external suppliers such as designers, PR and Internet agencies.
- Manage the editorial calendar.
- Manage the production calendar.
- Produce internal communications products as needed.
- Participate in the design and implementation of programme specific and SEforALL-wide campaigns.
- Other duties as may be required.
Specific Competencies for the Role
- A Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in online content creation, editing and publishing.
- Strong writing skills and experience in generating compelling content.
- Proven creativity and ability to develop digital content that will advance the brand image and priorities of SEforALL.
- Experience in creating, curating and developing high impact campaigns across a variety of social and digital channels.
- Very good understanding of web technologies and experience with search engine optimization, HTML and CSS.
- Support and management of several websites by existing CMS.
- Familiarity with content editing in various CMS and newsletter systems.
- Experience with Drupal is highly desired.
- Online marketing experience an advantage.
- Knowledge management systems a plus.
- Innovative in content strategies.
- Experience in daily usage of a variety of online platforms.
- Experience with image editing tools e.g. Adobe Photoshop.
- Content management, copy integration, online publishing and image editing experience.
- Experience with data visualization and data visualization tools an advantage.
- Experience with Google Analytics.
- Experience in creating, testing and sending newsletters.
- Thinks ”outside the box” with the ability to share creative and new ideas while being open to feedback on these suggestions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals.
- Flexibility and the ability to work under tight, often multiple project deadlines.
- Experience in an international environment is an advantage.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required; knowledge of another language, especially French, is an advantage.
General Competencies for the Role:
- Innovation and Adaptability: Has proficient skills and commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities. Is flexible to evolving circumstances, as well as helps others in doing so.
- Resilience and Emotional Intelligence: Has proficient knowledge in the concepts of resilience and emotional intelligence. Is able to remain calm in challenging situations, to cope with setbacks, is responsive to the emotions of others and maintains a high level of performance.
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking: Has a proficient level of analytical and strategic thinking skills. Gathers and processes demanding information, develops innovative solutions and contributes by representing topics/approaches in internal working groups/teams.
- Collaboration and Partnership: Demonstrates proficient initiative and abilities to collaborate and partner with others in own are, and across teams. Identifies, develops, builds and actively promotes partnerships and collaboration, maintaining long-lasting partnerships.
- Displays team-oriented attitude contributing to creating a positive team spirit.
- Lead and Empower: Demonstrates initiative and role model behaviour in leading and empowering others. Takes responsibility for own work activities and personal actions and carries out the commitments agreed upon
- Political and diplomatic understanding: Has a proficient level of political and diplomatic understanding.
- Communicating information: Has expert skills in communicating information and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work and in others’ work.
- Research and Analytics: Has proficient skills in research and analytics and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work.
- Project Management: Has proficient skills in project management – plans and organises their own work using project management approaches in support of achieving the team’s objectives.
- Client Orientation / Striving for Excellence: Has proficient skills in client orientation and achieving excellency in work delivery.
Our Values – please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna, Washington DC and New York City, and flexibility and result orientated modern workplace arrangements.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
Learn more and apply here.