Communications Specialist, Universal Energy Facility, Sustainable Energy For All
Context and Objective of Assignment
Results Based Financing Background:
Sovereign donors are increasingly experimenting with Results-Based Financing (RBF) for energy access programmes. Providing financial support at the required speed and scale to achieve SDG7 (and to reach the last-mile communities that are the most vulnerable) will require a paradigm shift towards RBF, which would allow governments and donors to: Shift an appropriate level of risk of delivery to the private sector; provide greater certainty to industry about the level of financial support required; and aggregate financing and scale support across multiple countries.
SEforALL launched and operationalized the Universal Energy Facility (UEF) in October 2020 as a multi-donor RBF facility designed to significantly speedup and scaleup the delivery of energy connections in Sub-Saharan Africa. The UEF provides incentive payments to eligible organizations that deploy energy solutions and provide verified end-user energy connections.
SEforALL’s activities include designing end-to-end UEF framework and processes, including qualification criteria, technical specifications and KPIs; conducting analysis of base case assumptions and financial modeling to ensure a sound subsidy amount; setting up the UEF Governance Structure; carrying out in-country due diligence and stakeholder engagement; and managing the full process from pre-qualification and site specific applications to grant disbursements. The UEF was launched in October 2020 with the application process opening for mini-grid projects in Sierra Leone and Madagascar. The UEF expanded to Benin for mini-grid projects in early 2021. Over the coming year, SEforALL expects to significantly grow the UEF to be a USD 100 million facility operating in multiple countries in Africa, expanding the mini-grid windows and launching new windows for stand-alone solar for productive use (SSPU).
The main objectives of the Results-Based Financing (RBF) programme are:
- To provide a funding mechanism that allows for scale, speed and efficiency to achieve universal energy access by 2030.
- To operationalize and scale the UEF for mini-grids, stand-alone systems for productive uses, and clean cooking solutions.
- Under the RBF programme, SEforALL also provides advocacy, communications and outreach to promote and scale the transition to results-based approaches to delivering energy access.
Purpose/Objective of the Role
The main objectives of the role include:
- The Communications Specialist is responsible for the development, implementation and monitoring of UEF’s communications strategy and plans,
- Lead the development of internal and external communications products, disseminating insights and knowledge pieces while creating and managing content for UEF’s digital platforms.
- Lead efforts in developing and disseminating clear and powerful messages, utilizing multiple channels tailored to target audiences at country, regional, and global levels.
- Working closely with UEF staff and the SEforALL Communications unit aggregating, packaging, and tailoring information gathered through UEF’s implementation activities, raising the visibility of the UEF and SEforALL while supporting and amplifying its work.
- Support resource mobilization for the UEF through communications strategies, products and channels.
Duties and Tasks for the Role
The main duties and tasks of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Develop the UEF communications strategy for external and internal communication.
- Lead the implementation, execution, and monitoring of the communications strategy.
- Lead the development and implementation of communications plans in support of UEF programme objectives, in line with the overall SEforALL communications strategy.
- Working closely with the Monitoring Evaluation and Learning unit, package and disseminate UEF knowledge products to internal and external audiences using multiple channels including the SEforALL website, social media, newsletters, and mailing lists, and through relevant mass media.
- Develop communication materials such as blogs, press releases, op-eds, talking points, speeches, videos, and web materials in line with SEforALL’s overall communications strategy messaging, identified audiences, and channels.
- Coordinate with the UEF online platform provider to ensure UEF aligned branding and messaging.
- Develop and execute a media liaison strategy for the UEF.
- Maintain a repository of videos and photos for use by UEF in its marketing and communication activities.
- Lead the development and execution of UEF digital strategy to ensure engagement with online audiences (website and social media).
- Coordinate communications activities and events ranging from UEF window launches, press conferences to large webinars/seminars, involving external and/or internal audiences.
- Provide UEF communications material in support of the production of SEforALL corporate publications such as annual reports, banners, brochures.
- Work with and manage contracted/outsourced agencies and experts to deliver quality outputs in line with agreed budgets, the scope of work, and work plans.
- Work with Resource Mobilization team members to develop UEF fundraising collateral.
- Other tasks and duties as may be required.
Specific Competencies for the Role
- Hold a Master’s degree in communications, business, international relations, information management, media relations, journalism, development studies, or any related field (post-graduate qualification will be an added advantage).
- Have a minimum of six (6) years’ working experience in development or corporate communications.
- Have any additional professional qualification(s) in communications, marketing and public relations.
- Have experience managing external vendors (consultants or agencies) in branding, communications, or public relations. Have proven success in developing and implementing integrated communications strategies.
- Have experience in creating web content and managing social media pages on various platforms.
- Experience repackaging and disseminating knowledge and thought-leadership products
- Demonstrate success in delivering high-quality communications, products or tools targeting a diverse range of audiences. Have exceptional writing, grammar and editing skills.
- Have a proven ability to distil large amounts of information for diverse audiences; skills in other languages would be an advantage.
- Experience in the energy access sector, preferably mini-grids and solar home systems and/or experience in climate and environment is considered a strong advantage. In-depth proficiency in writing and editing complex communications products for purposeful structure, clarity of ideas, and the logical persuasive presentation of content.
- Knowledge of global energy issues and international development ecosystem.
- Proven ability to translate complex, technical topics into content accessible to a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to scan large quantities of materials and to research own sources and materials as input in content development and writing.
- Expert command of the English language.
General Competences for the Role
- Innovation and Adaptability: Has proficient skills and commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities. Is flexible to evolving circumstances, as well as helps others in doing so.
- Resilience and Emotional Intelligence: Has proficient knowledge in the concepts of resilience and emotional intelligence. Is able to remain calm in challenging situations, to cope with setbacks, is responsive to the emotions of others and maintains a high level of performance.
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking: Has a proficient level of analytical and strategic thinking skills. Gathers and processes demanding information, develops innovative solutions and contributes by representing topics/approaches in internal working groups/teams.
- Collaboration and Partnership: Demonstrates proficient initiative and abilities to collaborate and partner with others in own are, and across teams. Identifies, develops, builds and actively promotes partnerships and collaboration, maintaining long-lasting partnerships. Displays team-oriented attitude contributing to creating a positive team spirit.
- Lead and Empower: Demonstrates initiative and role model behaviour in leading and empowering others. Takes responsibility for own work activities and personal actions and carries out the commitments agreed upon.
- Political and diplomatic understanding: Has a proficient level of political and diplomatic understanding.
- Communicating information: Has expert skills in communicating information and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work and in others’ work.
- Research and Analytics: Has proficient skills in research and analytics. Promotes the use of data within the team and to contribute to wider decision making.
- Project Management: Has proficient skills in project management. Plans and organises their own work using project management tools in support of achieving the team’s objectives.
- Client Orientation / Striving for Excellence: Has proficient skills in client orientation and achieving excellency in work delivery
Our Values – please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
Salary information: SEforALL has adopted its own salary scales corresponding to the SEforALL grading system. The minimum yearly salary for this position is USD 61,065. The actual salary offer will be determined within the scale depending on the successful candidate’s qualification and experience, and applying the principle of internal equity. In addition to the base salary, SEforALL staff receive a benefits package that includes contribution to pension, contribution to health insurance & homeworking allowance.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Abuja, Vienna, Washington DC and New York City, and flexibility and result orientated modern workplace arrangements.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
To learn more and apply, click here.