Consultant Opportunity: Study Author, GWNET
Gender diversity drives innovation, opens new pathways for technology deployment, brings valuable perspectives to social and economic development and provides a richer pool of talent for key and emerging industries. In the landscape of global issues requiring strong leadership and a skilled workforce, few areas are as critical as the transition to a sustainable energy system. Yet, as documented in IRENA’s January 2019 report “Renewable Energy: a Gender Perspective,” the energy sector continues to be male-dominated.
In the Global Roadmap for Accelerated SDG 7 Action in Support of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, published in early November 2021 and taking into account the UN GA High Level Dialogue on Energy, UN Secretary-General Guterres emphasizes that “gender equality and women’s empowerment must be prioritized, including empowering women in the design, production and distribution of modern energy services, including for productive uses, as well as equal representation of women in decision-making processes in the area of energy”.
Description of Tasks
GWNET is looking for a consultant to develop the above-described study in close consultation with the GWNET Secretariat:
1. Assess existing research/collect information and data necessary to author the study with the support of the GWNET Secretariat.
In this context, the contractor will:
- Draw on relevant information collected by the GWNET Secretariat and its partners
- Assess most recent additional information to close knowledge, and potentially, data gaps. In addition to desk research, the contractor is expected to use his/her network of experts to carry out interviews with relevant stakeholders in Central Asia; these interviews will present little case studies or quotes to enliven the study
2. Develop a survey to assess the situation of Central Asia women in energy, analyse the responses and incorporate information in the study draft
3. Author the study
The contractor is expected to:
- Develop a draft report (including Executive Summary) in English for commenting
- Incorporate the comments received from relevant stakeholders
- Present the draft report to the GWNET team internally (e.g. via Zoom) and provide a PowerPoint document for the study launch
- Finalise the report (approximately 30 pages plus concise Executive Summary)
Furthermore, the contractor will:
- consult and work in close consultation with GWNET throughout all phases of the project to ensure
- 1) a smooth collaboration and
- 2) that potential political sensitivities are being adequately considered.
- provide all data used for relevant figures and tables including their sources. References/citations need to be provided for all statistics and other information and follow GWNET’s authoring guidelines. All references will be included in the final draft report.
- Draft an Acknowledgment section for review by the GWNET Secretariat, recognizing all contributors to the study
Please consult the ToRs here.
The deadline for receipt of proposals is: Wednesday, 9th March 2022, 17.00 CET