Consultant, Scaling Clean Cooking in Cities
The Clean Cooking Alliance (CCA) works with a global network of partners to build an inclusive industry that makes clean cooking accessible to the three billion people who live each day without it. Established in 2010, CCA is driving consumer demand, mobilizing investment to build a pipeline of scalable businesses, and fostering an enabling environment to allow the sector to thrive. Clean cooking transforms lives by improving health, protecting the climate and the environment, empowering women, and helping families save time and money.
CCA is working to improve the narrative and evidence for the critical role cities can play in accelerating clean cooking transitions. More than half the world’s population lives in cities. Urban areas are engines of economic growth and innovation — but also huge carbon emitters, contributors of pollution and consumers of resources. The way in which cities are designed and governed impacts the quality of life for billions of people. In growing cities around the world, three-quarters of the infrastructure that will exist by 2050 has yet to be built.
Cities are at a critical inflection point: Decisions made today will determine whether we continue on a path of fractured, unsafe, polluting growth, or succeed in creating a sustainable, resilient, more inclusive future. Empowering cities to lead clean cooking transitions that best suit the needs of their citizens is essential to improving health, environment, and livelihoods and achieving national and global climate and development goals.
CCA is looking to hire a consultant to develop a ‘call to action’ report and recommendations for government, donor and investment decision makers to align ambition and mobilize capital to scale clean cooking solutions aligned with sustainable urban development. The project is anticipated for a duration of approximately eight weeks, and all work will be done in close collaboration and oversight from CCA’s Chief of Staff and External Affairs. The consultant will support CCA to develop a concise report, the ‘Call to Action’, that makes the case for more coordination and holistic financing solutions for clean cooking in cities and recommends a suite of suitable policy, partnership and financing mechanisms to achieve this. The consultant will identify and engage key partners and stakeholders poised to take these recommendations forward and will outline an initial programme of work for implementation.
The consultant will be responsible for developing the following Deliverables:
- Deliverable 1: Develop a detailed ‘Call to Action’ report with recommendations for policies, partnerships and financing mechanisms to accelerate city-led clean cooking transitions.
- Deliverable 2: Create and maintain a partnership directory detailing relevant thought leaders, organizations and financing structures identified through desk research and stakeholder engagement to support additional thought partnership and program opportunities.
- Deliverable 3: Draft a 9-month work plan for implementation of the primary recommendations.
- Entrepreneurial approach: ability to build something new in a complex system, learn by doing, and think beyond the bounds of what is presently considered possible.
- At least 8 years of professional experience, including 3 or more years of experience in energy/urban policy or planning is required. Experience in working on projects in the global south will be an added advantage.
- Practical experience with innovative financing, particularly for nature-based solutions, such as climate finance, loan guarantees, green bonds.
- Experience with facilitating and brokering multi-partnership and stakeholder projects, experience in co-creation processes a plus.
- Familiarity and/or interest in clean cooking projects and enterprises will be strongly considered.
- Demonstrated experience in complex project development, management, and execution. Ability to drive multiple aspects of initiatives and projects from inception to implementation within a limited time frame.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to leverage current, and develop new, networks to build relationships and amplify access and impact.
- Effective and active in stakeholder engagement and external representation.
- Ability to plan and participate in virtual meetings that align with EST working hours.
- Energetic and positive attitude.
- Solutions-oriented and able to manage and advance multiple task and responsibilities in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Problem-solver with a proactive, no-task-is-too-small nature who takes initiative.
- Team-oriented, supportive work style, and able to work independently.
- Excellent communicator, able to synthesize and convey complex information clearly.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- High ethical standards and ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion with sensitive information.
- Ability to learn new systems and collaboration platforms efficiently.
The position is expected to be on a partial time basis, lasting approximately eight weeks, starting as soon as possible.
Work can be completed remotely.
Please email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Consultant, Cities for Clean Cooking:
- Cover letter
- Proposed budget
Selected consultant must comply with United Nations Foundation and funder compliance requirements.