Development and Communications Director – StoveTeam International
StoveTeam International is seeking a dynamic and experienced Development and
Communications Director to lead and manage the organization’s fundraising and
communications efforts. The Development & Communications Director is a member of the
executive management team, participating in the organization’s strategic planning and providing
leadership in developing organization and program budgets. The successful candidate will plan
all fundraising campaigns and events, communications and marketing plans, and will work
closely with the Executive Director to lead resource development.
In recent years, StoveTeam International increased its annual budget by over 300% – from
$269K in 2019 to over $1M in 2023. The organization is growing and innovating and now seeks
an experienced Development and Communications Director to apply their advanced fundraising
skill and creativity to strategically and efficiently maintain this momentum. This new and exciting
opportunity adds a trusted individual to the core executive team of five individuals. This position
will work in close partnership with the Executive Director to develop and implement creative
initiatives to increase StoveTeam’s donor base for long-term sustainability. The Development
and Communications Director will build and deepen relationships with U.S. and
internationally-based donors, sponsors, and partners and ensure the effective delivery of all
communications and development efforts.
● Develop and implement creative strategies to maintain and expand the organization’s
donor base, increase visibility and engagement, and increase funding from corporations,
foundations, and individual donors.
● Supervise and support all fundraising events, direct mail letters, grant writing, donor
records management, and volunteer recruitment.
● Oversee and manage the implementation of all fundraising efforts of the organization
including the development and monitoring of an annual fundraising budget.
● Oversee and manage the implementation of all communications efforts including: the
coordination of all marketing and public relations for events and agency publicity; media
publicity; donor informational mailings and e-blasts; website and social media; and,
general agency publicity materials.
● Serve as liaison to universities, schools, and organizations for peer-to-peer fundraising
● Plan and execute fundraising events and campaigns to increase awareness and support
for the organization’s mission.
● Represent the organization at relevant events and conferences and serve as a
spokesperson for the organization as needed.
● Monitor revenue generation in relation to fundraising goals.
● Supervise 1 FTE, multiple volunteers, and outsourced IT and creative professionals to
ensure excellent and on-message communications to support the development effort.
● Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field such as non-profit management, business
administration, or public administration.
● A minimum of 7 years of experience in fundraising and communications, with a proven
track record of success in raising significant funds from a variety of sources.
● Proven record of successfully building and maintaining long-term relationships with
● Demonstrated ability to develop and implement effective fundraising and marketing
● Comfort level and knowledge of fundraising software and databases.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience developing and
delivering compelling presentations.
● Experience managing large, complex projects and events.
● Strong leadership skills and the ability to manage and motivate a team.
● Ability to work autonomously and exercise critical thinking in decision-making.
● Detail-oriented with strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills.
● Ability to work collaboratively from home or in a hybrid work environment.
About StoveTeam International
Around the world, four billion people still cook using dangerous, smoky open fires, which lead to
over four million deaths each year. StoveTeam International is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
with the mission to facilitate the placement of low-smoke, fuel-efficient, and safe cookstoves in
collaboration with local communities to support families and protect the environment. To date,
our approach of empowering local people to build and distribute cookstoves in their own regions
has enabled us to change the lives of over half a million people. For more information, please
Compensation and Location
This is a salaried, exempt position with a salary range between $65,000 and $75,000,
depending on experience and qualifications. The Director of Development and Communications
will be eligible for full benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance, as well as a 401K
plan with a company match of 3.5%. The position also includes PTO (prorated to FTE and
length of employment), and 10 company holidays. This position is remote, with the expectation
that the successful candidate resides within two hours of the Portland Metro area and may
require periodic travel within the U.S. to meet with the full team members, Board members, and
donors as well as periodic travel to Latin America.
Please include a cover letter describing your development and communications experience,
experience supervising staff, and why you’re interested in working for StoveTeam International.
Please send to Tina Talbot, Executive Assistant/Business Manager, email@example.com.
To learn more, click here.