Gender and Energy Analyst, SEforALL
Duty Station: New York City or Washington DC
Team: Policy and Regulatory Frameworks and Women and Youth at the Forefront (50/50)
Line Manager: Programme Manager, Policy and Regulatory Frameworks
Grade Level: Specialist 1, overall level 4
Date Required: As soon as possible
Duration: One year with possibility to extend
Closing date: 29 March 2022 at 23:59 CET
Background About SEforALL
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international organization working with leaders in government, the private sector and civil society to drive further, faster action toward achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to below 2° Celsius.
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in achieving SDG7.
Former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the Sustainable Energy for All initiative in 2011. Now an independent organization, we maintain close links with the UN, including through a relationship agreement, partnerships with UN agencies and with SEforALL’s CEO acting as the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the implementation of SDG7 and supporting the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system.
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities, entrepreneurs and civil society. As we enter the final decade to achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making, partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the ground. The new SEforALL three-year business plan outlines “results offers” that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to our funding partners the impact of their support.
Objective of Assignment
The objectives of the Policy and Regulatory Frameworks objectives are:
- Supporting partner countries in developing robust enabling policy and regulatory environments by facilitating access to a knowledge hub of best-in-class policy and regulatory tools and advisory support.
- Continually identifying, develop and disseminate best-in-class approaches, tools and templates for energy policy and regulations to policy-makers in partner countries.
- Acting as an incubator for innovative policy approaches to overcome barriers to SDG7 in collaboration with partner countries.
The objectives of the Women and Youth at the Forefront team are:
- Provide women with internship, mentorship and technical training opportunities to advance their careers and skills in the energy sector and prepare them for leadership roles.
- Elevate women as visible leaders of SDG7 through sponsorships to attend and speak at key industry events.
- Educate, engage and empower youth on the full scope of SDG7 (access, transition and efficiency).
Purpose/Objective of the Role
The main objectives of the role include:
- Providing effective support on a variety of corporate, strategic and operational activities with particular focus on contributing to project management, stakeholder engagement, research, knowledge generation and dissemination
- Support the identification and development of best-in-class policy and regulatory standards, templates, tools and innovative approaches to unlock barriers to SDG7 and partners
- Contribute to the Policy and Regulatory Frameworks and Women and Youth at the Forefront teams by supporting an engaging, productive and results-oriented work environment, offering guidance to junior members of the team.
Duties and Tasks for the Role
The main duties of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Support and contribute to project management of in-country activities including development of project objectives, activity and resource planning, stakeholder engagement, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. In some cases, independently managing in-country activities where appropriate with progressive responsibility.
- Undertake data and policy analysis to contribute to project objectives and support identification of best-class energy policy, regulations and institutional frameworks in order to develop replicable standards and templates for SEforALL focus countries.
- Liaise with SEforALL’s Operations, Communications, MEL and Resource Mobilization teams to provide relevant input and insight to the work of the PRF and Women and Youth at the Forefront teams.
- Support and in some cases lead in the development of grant proposals, collaboration agreements and fundraising efforts.
- Contribute to drafting and preparing SEforALL publications, policy briefs and short communications on the energy sector.
- Support and implement Women and Youth at the Forefront initiatives
- Support and carry out activities to mainstream gender within SEforALL projects.
- Provide technical and logistic support for gender and youth initiatives as required.
- Provide training on gender equality and women´s empowerment to internal and external audiences.
- Support organization of and engagement in stakeholder convenings (virtual or in-person) managed by SEforALL where appropriate. Support the development speeches and presentations.
- Support the elaboration of knowledge products, such as knowledge briefs, reports and technical notes.
- Develop input for briefs/ talking points to support the SEforALL SRSG/ CEO and the senior management team for a wide spectrum of meetings and engagements.
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing in own work area to bring about awareness and understanding, as well as utilise SEforALL systems and process to share the knowledge. e.g. Salesforce.
- Other tasks and duties as may be required
Specific Competencies for the Role
- Completed relevant university degree or comparable skills
- Some relevant experience, including in engaging with public, private and CSO partners in an international and country context.
- Understanding of sustainable energy policies, strategies, institutions and practices related to SEforALL’s mandate.
- Deep knowledge on the gender and energy nexus, as well as women´s empowerment and gender equality concepts.
- Experience designing and organizing youth and gender-focused initiatives and activities in the international development field.
- Demonstrated knowledge to solidify link between SDG5 and SDG7
- Experience supporting gender mainstreaming in technical energy matters, such as cooling, energy efficiency, clean cooking, policy regulatory framework.
- Demonstrated experience implementing gender strategies in the sustainable energy sector.
- Demonstrated past engagement in international fora on climate, SDG7 or energy issues
- Excellent written, synthesis and research skills, including drafting ability and extensive knowledge of word processing and application of software package as databases and Power Point Presentations
- Complete fluency in English with strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to work in either French and/or Spanish is highly desirable.
General Competencies for the Role
- Innovation and Adaptability: Has advanced skills and commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities. Is flexible to evolving circumstances, as well as helps others in doing so.
- Resilience and Emotional Intelligence: Has advanced knowledge in the concepts of resilience and emotional intelligence. Is able to remain calm in challenging situations, to cope with setbacks, is responsive to the emotions of others and maintains a high level of performance.
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking: Has an advanced level of analytical and strategic thinking skills. Gathers and processes demanding information, develops sound solutions and contributes recommendations for action to line supervisor/others as appropriate.
- Collaboration and Partnership: Demonstrates advanced initiative and abilities to collaborate and form partnerships in own area of responsibility and across teams. Actively develops and maintains partnerships and displays team-oriented attitude contributing to creating a positive team spirit.
- Lead and Empower: Demonstrates initiative and role model behaviour in leading and empowering others. Takes responsibility for own work activities and personal actions and carries out the commitments agreed upon
- Political and diplomatic understanding: Has an advanced level of political and diplomatic understanding.
- Communicating information: Has proficient skills in communicating information and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work and in others’ work.
- Research and Analytics: Has advanced skills in research and analytics and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work.
- Project Management: Has advanced skills in project management. Plans and organises their own work using project management tools in support of achieving the team’s objectives.
- Client Orientation / Striving for Excellence: Has advanced skills in client orientation and achieving excellency in work delivery.
Our Values – please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
Salary information: SEforALL has adopted its own salary scales corresponding to the SEforALL grading system. The minimum yearly salary for this position is USD 48,850. The actual salary offer will be determined within the scale depending on the successful candidate’s qualification and experience, and applying the principle of internal equity. In addition to the base salary, SEforALL staff receive a benefits package that includes contribution to pension, contribution to health insurance & homeworking allowance.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna, Washington DC and New York City, and flexibility and result-orientated modern workplace arrangements.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.