Global Technical Advisor, Biodigester Market Development, SNV
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical knowledge to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our expertise in agriculture, energy, and Water, Sanitation and Health (WASH) to local contexts. SNV has over 1300 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its current Strategic Plan (2019–2022), SNV is explicitly aiming for structural change and scale in its programmes in the agriculture, energy, and WASH sectors, as well as bringing knowledge and initiatives from different programmes together at the country level to contribute to systems change. We position ourselves as a learning organisation striving for excellence and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org.
The Global Technical Advisor (GTA) Biodigester Market Development –or in short: GTA Biodigesters- is part of SNV’s Global Energy Team. As technical expert in biodigester market development, the GTA provides high level technical advisory services and backstopping to projects in this (sub)sector, and will be responsible for the development of new projects. The GTA develops innovative solutions, contributes to knowledge and learning, and maintains/expands relations and partnerships with key sector players.
The focus of the GTA Biodigesters will be on sustainable market-based solutions for households, institutions and businesses to make (productive) use of the multiple benefits of biodigester technology. The GTA’s support will include strategy development, backstopping of ongoing projects, business development, knowledge & learning and positioning & profiling. Guided by SNV’s Sustainable Energy Markets (SEM) product, such solutions will not only address the demand and supply side of biodigester market development, but also the enabling environment. Exploration of opportunities for project / product (co-) financing by carbon-revenues, access to finance for consumers and enterprises will be important focus areas, as well as gender equality and social inclusion.
The GTA Biodigesters will work closely together with colleagues from SNV’s Global Energy Team and other units within SNV. Alignment will take place with the GTA Clean Cooking appointed by SNV to further develop mutual market-based approaches and (behavioural change) communications. Cooperation will extend to SNV’s Agriculture Sector (application of bio-slurry as organic fertiliser) and WASH Sector (health and sanitation improvements).
Subject to possible Covid restrictions, the GTA Biodigesters will be traveling (30%) to locations of projects.
- Identifies and interprets the main trends, opportunities, barriers in the biodigester sector and further develops SNV’s strategy, approach, and tools in this area, including Behaviour Change Communication and innovative finance mehanisms for suppliers and consumers.
- Develops standard job profiles and ToRs for relevant biodigester expertise in existing and new projects and advises project managers and country directors on staffing and expertise for the implementation of biodigester market development initiatives.
Backstopping, Advisory Services and Quality Assurance
- Supports the implementation of biodigester market development projects, for households, institutions and businesses to make (productive) use of the multiple benefits of biodigester technology and increase access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy technologies and services. Different business models, financial mechanisms and TA support are needed to develop and implement localized solutions, including applications for households, institutions and businesses.
- Backstopping of projects of SNV globally will be delivered in close coordination with the project managers and other related staff, realising synergies between projects if and where possible. Coordinates SNV’s portfolio of existing projects in biodigester market development, with a particular emphasis on Sub-Saharan Africa and South East Asia. Coaches colleagues, associated partners and sub-contractors on quality assurance within the context of projects.
- Leads the initiation, development and submission of proposals for new biodigester market development projects for financing by a wide variety of funders including carbon finance providers, with a particular emphasis on scaleability of technologies and approaches. Provides technical input to other project proposals including reviews, in close collaboration with the global Business Development team.
- Applies contextual analysis and systems thinking on biodigester technology in the form of a well-elaborated Theory of Change (ToC) and Standardised Operational Procedures (SOP), in close collaboration with the sector team and monitoring colleagues involved.
Knowledge and Learning
- Contributes to internal and external knowledge development and innovation in the area of biodigester technology and market development, including the drafting and review of publications.
- Participates in knowledge development and innovation groups and in external and internal networks, ensures knowledge products and lessons learned are shared.
- Supports the development, maintenance and updating of the biodigester knowledge agenda and supports organisational learning by sharing technical knowledge and best practices across SNV teams at global, country and project level.
- Ensures that the set of products, methodologies and tools to facilitate biodigester programming efforts is updated and adjusted to meet the required high-quality standards.
Positioning and Profiling
- Develops, expands and maintains effective and efficient (global) strategic partnerships with relevant donors, private and public players, non-profit organisations and other stakeholders through professional networking and profiling.
- Represents SNV at selected events at the national and international levels.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline.
- 5 years of relevant experience in the area of (small scale) biodigester technology and market development.
- Proven experience in developing strategies and projects on access to energy within an international cooperation context.
- Solid background and understanding of market-based approaches for biodigester dissemination, inclusive of working with the private sector, public sector and other key stakeholders.
- Extensive (international) network and up-to-date knowledge about access to biodigester technologies and benefits, inclusive of strategies for further scaling, ensuring gender equality and social inclusion.
- Experience with business development in designing impactful projects and programmes, writing successful proposals, and managing donor relationships.
- Experience with the development and implementation of carbon finance projects.
- Experience with knowledge management, learning and innovations in access to energy. Ability to raise awareness, coach and provide training to technical and non-technical project and partner staff.
- Capacity to work independently, with an authority to steer, give direction and advise project managers. Ability to stimulate and inspire project teams.
- Excellent social and networking skills, ability to engage with governments and the private sector including influencing skills and experience of working effectively in a matrix organisation.
- Good communication and negotiation skills as well as intercultural sensitivity.
- Entrepreneurial, result-oriented and driver for change. Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Experience living and/or working in a developing country.
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English is required. Proficiency in French is desirable.
Contract Type: 0.8-1.0 FTE
Contract Duration: 2 years with a strong possibility for extension
Expected Start Date: May 2022
Information Duty Station: Preferably Netherlands (negotiable)
Travel to Projects: Approximately 30% (Covid Permitting)
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and international working environment. Our staff benefits from, and contribute to, an internal and global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org.
How to apply?
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation by 4th of April 2022 by clicking on the link: I’m interested.
We will require that you provide us with the full details of three people who are willing to act as a reference. We will not contact these references without your explicit permission.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with a Selection Committee will take place.
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply, click here.