Global Technical Advisor, Clean Cooking, SNV
City: The Hague
Organization: SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
Career Category: Advocacy/Communications
Years of Experience: 5-9 years
Themes: Agriculture, Food and Nutrition, Safety and Security
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical knowledge to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our expertise in agriculture, energy, and Water, Sanitation and Health (WASH) to local contexts. SNV has over 1300 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its current Strategic Plan (2019–2022), SNV is explicitly aiming for structural change and scale in its programmes in the agriculture, energy, and WASH sectors, as well as bringing knowledge and initiatives from different programmes together at the country level to contribute to systems change. We position ourselves as a learning organisation striving for excellence and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org.
The Global Technical Advisor (GTA) Clean Cooking is part of SNV’s Global Energy Team. As technical expert in Clean Cooking, the GTA provides high level technical advisory services and backstopping to projects in this (sub)sector, and will be responsible for the development of new projects. The GTA develops innovative solutions, contributes to knowledge and learning, and maintains/expands relations and partnerships with key sector players.
The focus of the GTA Clean Cooking will be on sustainable market-based solutions for households, institutions and businesses to (improve) access to clean cooking and heating, including strategy development, backstopping of ongoing projects, business development, knowledge & learning and positioning & profiling. Guided by SNV’s Sustainable Energy Markets (SEM) product, such solutions will not only address the demand and supply side of clean cooking, but also the enabling environment. Access to finance for consumers and enterprises will be a key focus area, as well as gender equality and social inclusion.
The GTA Clean Cooking will work closely together with colleagues from SNV’s Global Energy Team and other units within SNV. Alignment will take place with the GTA Biodigesters appointed by SNV to further develop the use of biogas for clean cooking in addition to the application of bio-slurry as organic fertiliser. Subject to possible Covid restrictions, the GTA Clean Cooking will be travelling (30%) to locations of projects.
Identifies and interprets the main trends, opportunities, barriers in the clean cooking sector and further develops SNV’s strategy, approach and tools in this area, including Behaviour Change Communication and innovative finance mehanisms for suppliers and consumers.
Develops standard job profiles and ToRs for relevant clean cooking expertise in existing and new projects and advises project managers and country directors on staffing and expertise for the implementation of clean cooking projects.
Backstopping, Advisory Services and Quality Assurance
Supports the implementation of clean cooking projects, with an aim to increase access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy technologies and services by supporting the development of sustainable markets. Different business models, financial mechanisms and TA support are needed to develop and implement localized solutions, including applications for households, institutions and businesses. The backstopping will be delivered in close coordination with the project managers and other related staff, realising synergies between projects if and where possible. Coordinates the portfolio of existing projects in clean cooking.
Coaches colleagues, associated partners and sub-contractors on quality assurance within the context of projects.
Leads the initiation, development and submission of new clean cooking projects, with a particular emphasis on higher-tier stoves and clean fuels. Provides technical input to other project proposals including reviews, in close collaboration with the global Business Development team.
Applies contextual analysis and systems thinking on clean cooking in the form of a well-elaborated Theory of Change (ToC) and Standardised Operational Procedures (SOP), in close collaboration with the sector team and monitoring colleagues involved.
Knowledge and Learning
Contributes to internal and external knowledge development and innovation in the area of clean cooking, including the drafting and review of publications.
Participates in knowledge development and innovation groups and in external and internal networks, ensures knowledge products and lessons learned are shared.
Supports the development, maintenance and updating of the clean cooking knowledge agenda and supports organisational learning by sharing technical knowledge and best practices across SNV teams at global, country and project level.
Ensures that the set of products, methodologies and tools to facilitate clean cooking efforts, is updated and adjusted to meet the required high-quality standards.
Positioning and Profiling
Develops, expands and maintains effective and efficient (global) strategic partnerships with relevant donors, private and public players, non-profit organisations and other stakeholders through professional networking and profiling.
Represents SNV at selected events at the national and international levels.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline.
- 5 years of relevant experience in the area of access to clean cooking.
- Proven experience in developing strategies and projects on access to energy within an international cooperation context.
- Solid background and understanding of market-based approaches for clean cooking, inclusive of working with the private sector, public sector and other key stakeholders.
- Extensive (international) network and up-to-date knowledge about access to clean cooking, inclusive of strategies for further scaling, ensuring gender equality and social inclusion.
- Experience with business development in designing impactful projects and programmes, writing successful proposals, and managing donor relationships.
- Experience with knowledge management, learning and innovations in access to energy. Ability to raise awareness, coach and provide training to technical and non-technical project and partner staff.
- Capacity to work independently, with an authority to steer, give direction and advise project managers. Ability to stimulate and inspire project teams.
- Excellent social and networking skills, ability to engage with governments and the private sector including influencing skills and experience of working effectively in a matrix organisation.
- Good communication and negotiation skills as well as intercultural sensitivity.
- Entrepreneurial, result-oriented and driver for change. Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Experience living and/or working in a developing country.
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English is required. Proficiency in French is highly desirable.
- Contract Type: 0.8-1.0 FTE
- Contract Duration: 2 years with a strong possibility for extension
- Expected Start Date: April/May 2022
- Information Duty Station: Preferably Netherlands (negotiable)
- Travel to Projects: Approximately 30% (Covid Permitting)
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and international working environment. Our staff benefits from, and contribute to, an internal and global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org.
How to apply?
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation by 17th January 2022 by clicking on the link: I’m interested.
We will require that you provide us with the full details of three people who are willing to act as a reference. We will not contact these references without your explicit permission.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with a Selection Committee will take place.
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement –
How to apply
Please APPLY ONLINE at: https://jobs.smartrecruiters.com/SNV/743999796551773-global-technical-advisor-clean-cooking**