Health, Safety, and Environment Manager – KOKO Networks
About KOKO Networks
KOKO Networks is a venture-backed climate-tech company with 1,200+ employees across East Africa & India. Our mission is to imagine and deliver technology that improves life in the world’s fastest growing cities. We offer a fast-paced and highly collaborative work environment with significant opportunities for professional growth. Our core lines of business currently include: (1) KOKO Fuel, an ultra-clean liquid bioethanol cooking fuel solution delivered via a network of smart fuel ATMs and leveraging existing downstream liquid fuels infrastructure; (2) KOKO Climate, which retails the emissions reductions that occur from switching households from deforestation-based charcoal to KOKO Fuel; and (3) KOKO Club, a tech-enabled, direct-to-consumer, instant fulfillment retail platform operated in partnership with neighborhood retailers. In 2021, KOKO was selected as the world’s leading emerging markets climate technology solution by FT/IFC.
As the Health, Safety, and Environment (HSE) Manager, Rwanda, you will lead KOKO Rwanda’s in-house function tasked with ensuring both team and category safety. For team safety, you will focus on the health and safety of our employees, contractors, and agents. For category safety, you will focus on the safe handling of products and materials associated with the categories in which we operate (eg, fuel). You will lead the department that will serve as a trusted business partner for functional department management to help them define policy/process as well as an audit and control function to ensure adherence to policy/process.
What You Will Do
- Develop, implement, and evolve the Rwanda HSE functional strategy for KOKO’s business needs
- Ensure compliance with the Rwanda Directorate of Occupational Safety & Health Services (DOSHS) requirements and other relevant regulations
- Monitor safety incidents and share periodic reporting on issues with company leadership
- Investigate safety incidents, determine root causes, and support development of mitigation plans
- Work with functional leaders to develop and adapt policies and processes to ensure team and category safety within each department
- Set up and support periodic audits of department safety policies / processes to ensure adherence and identify opportunities for improvement
- Develop safety requirements for KOKO agents, suppliers, contractors, and other partners
- Set up and support periodic reviews of agent, supplier, contractor, and partner facilities and field operations to ensure our partners are well-trained and compliant with KOKO standards
- Develop and support implementation of periodic HSE trainings calendars around team safety, category safety, and regulatory compliance
What You Will Bring To KOKO
- 10+ years of experience in health, safety, or environmental management
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a relevant field such as Engineering or Supply Chain
- Master’s degree or additional safety-related certifications preferred
- Expertise with liquid fuels (eg, oil & gas) and/or fast-moving consumer goods (FMCGs)
- Familiarity with international HSE standards (eg, ISO, NEBOSH)
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong data collection and analysis skills
- Ability to work in a highly dynamic environment
- High integrity and willingness to speak up for KOKO’s core values
KOKO is committed to gender and racial diversity in the workplace. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply!
To learn more and apply, click here.