Manager, Energy Research, World Resources Institute India
Who we are and what we do?
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, non-profit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, World Resources Institute puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
Program Overview for Energy
The objective of the WRI India energy program is to inform and guide India’s transition to cleaner energy. The program focuses on three inter-related aspects of this energy transition: enhancing energy access, scaling renewables among specific consumer categories, and achieving higher levels of energy and buildings efficiency. Our energy access work is specifically aimed at ensuring access to affordable and clean energy so as to improve socio-economic development in rural and remote regions of India. Through strong research, ground-level implementation experience, partnerships with key stakeholders and communicating our work, we seek to achieve impact at scale.
About your role:
WRI globally, has deep experience in the energy sector and on climate change across several topic areas and is widely recognized as a leader on energy and climate issues. In India, we have a multi-pronged energy strategy that looks strategically at directing our tools, research, expertise, and partnerships to support India’s clean energy transition across varied economic activities like extraction, production, distribution, consumption and waste management; in ensuring universal access to reliable, affordable and sustainable electricity and minimizing energy losses and thereby contributing to energy planning and policy analysis.
The Energy program at WRI India is seeking a Manager (Clean Energy) to work with and support research focused on reviving the state level renewable energy agencies through the AREAS network.
How your day will unfold:
The Manager (Clean Energy) will be part of a focused team with the following responsibilities:
• Engage with key state renewable energy agencies, attend government, private sector, civil society and academic convenings and discussions and participate in important energy policy fora and represent WRIs research, analysis, and point of view at these fora
• Support the team in conducting policy research and analysis of existing and emerging programs, policies and regulatory areas related to renewable energy and electricity
• Assist in the development of strategy for enhancing competency of the renewable energy agencies at the states, interacting with them regularly to understand their needs and gaps
• Regularly interacting with the national level policymakers in renewable energy and share the concerns of states and support in developing co-owned strategy to address the state level concerns
• Visit key state energy agencies, attend civil society and academic convenings and discussions and participate in important energy policy fora and represent WRIs research, analysis and point of view at these for a
• Support in collating information and knowledge about major policy reform processes, consultations and measures on states’ energy and development sector policies, and identify opportunities for the team to provide inputs to the processes, consultations, and measures
• Lead specific modules in the project as identified by the Energy Policy Lead
• Participate in and/or lead efforts to communicate the results of research undertaken
• Perform other tasks as assigned by the Energy Policy lead, including support on research and analysis.
Qualifications and Requirements we seek:
• Appropriate Master’s degree in energy, economics, or development related discipline with exposure to the subject area of Energy/Environmental Economics.
• At least 7 to 10 years of relevant experience in energy sector / power sector in a business, consulting, or regulatory setting
• Demonstrable experience policy and regulatory analysis skills
• Strong commitment to and understanding of the environmental and socio-economic development movement and sustainability issues
• Fluency in English and Hindi and other regional language is a plus.
• Foreign nationals applying must have valid permits for work in India
• Strong research and analytical skills, supported by professional experience in the domain of energy policy, contribution to publications and research reports
• Prior experience in strong stakeholder engagement especially with, RE nodal agencies and other state level agencies is desirable
• Knowledge of the electricity sector, power policy development processes and governmental functioning is required
• Knowledge of the electricity sector, overall power sector policy development processes, and governmental functioning is necessary
• Proficiency in electricity regulation is a plus
• Some knowledge of international development, global energy and climate policy issues is necessary
• Be pro-active in researching and pitching ideas, maintaining connections with policy makers, government agencies and media contacts
• Good communications skill supported by a portfolio of articulations, e.g., writings and speaking engagements related to energy policy
• Strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively in conversation and writing, including professional quality writing for policy and communications products
• Strong ability to brainstorm and think creatively about all elements of their work
• Willingness to travel locally and ability to work cooperatively with others to demonstrate flexibility in fulfilling assignments is essential
Salary and Benefits: 15,00,000 INR to 18,00,000 INR CTC Per annum
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: New Delhi, India
Duration: 1 year as term hire (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Start date: As soon as possible
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover letter explaining how your academic background and skills meet the requirements of this position.
- Curriculum vitae of no more than 2 A4-sized pages detailing academic and relevant professional experience.
- A portfolio of relevant works/ Project reports of relevant works
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.
To learn more and apply, click here.