Program Research Lead, Climate Program – World Resources Institute
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently, over 250 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Climate
At WRI India’s Climate Program, we focus on integrated solutions that can enable a low-carbon transition in India, while ensuring that the transition is equitable and just for its people and protects natural resources. Through applied research, the use of frameworks and tools, partnerships with key stakeholders and ground-level implementation, we seek to achieve impact at scale.
About your role:
WRI India is looking for a suitable candidate to lead research on low-carbon and climate-resilient strategies for the Climate Program. The selected candidate will lead policy-relevant research for initiatives related to low-carbon transitions, strengthening climate resilience, and understanding the socio-economic impacts of decarbonisation as well as climate change.
The candidate should have an excellent understanding of energy/climate landscape in the country, interdisciplinary research experience with strong quantitative and qualitative skills as well as a good publications record. The selected candidate is expected to conceptualise research activities based on the current climate/ energy policy landscape, as well as use stakeholder consultations to exchange knowledge and prioritise research themes and questions. This position requires independently leading and managing research teams on both national and subnational climate action.
The selected candidate will need to coordinate and work with the Climate Program, other WRI teams and its partner organizations to plan and implement research activities in a timely manner. The selected candidate is expected to travel to present and participate in conferences/ workshops and meetings on climate policy.
How you day will unfold:
The research lead will undertake a range of tasks as listed below.
- Conceptualize and lead research related to climate mitigation and adaptation/ resilience. This includes the development of policy relevant research on low-carbon development pathways, sectoral implementation roadmaps drawing from technical analyses/ modelling studies, deep dive studies on thematic areas such as just transitions, climate resilience, carbon markets, etc.
- Manage and guide teams of research staff and take responsibility to implement research activities in a timely manner.
- Lead and advise researchers on research methodologies and publication of working papers, reports, case studies and policy briefs.
- Engage with government and other key stakeholders to identify research needs and policy gaps.
- Engage with researchers/ practitioners with research institutions/ universities/ think tanks/ civil society and plan collaborative knowledge creation and dissemination.
- Publish research publications, thematic studies, low-carbon roadmaps, policy briefs, and blogs on topics related to long-term climate strategies, decarbonization, low-carbon sectoral roadmaps, sectoral transition strategies, and just transitions.
- Contribute to writing policy briefs drawing on insights from the multistakeholder dialogues and government/ industry engagement.
- Present research findings at government, civil society, and industry-led events.
- Participate in workshops, roundtable discussions, seminars and research events related to low-carbon, climate-resilient development.
- Contribute to capacity building initiatives by developing case study modules and designing sessions informed by program’s research.
- Coordinate with program communications team in translating technical research findings into formats that are easily accessible to diverse audiences.
- Contribute to ideation, reviews, and proposal writing for ongoing and future projects in the team.
- Stay updated on the policy landscape, sectoral developments, and industry trends in relation to climate policy and just transitions.
Requirements and skills that we seek:
- Postgraduate or doctoral degree in disciplines such as environmental science/ climate science, economics, public policy, urban/ environmental planning, development studies, energy/ environmental engineering or related subjects.
- Minimum of 10-12 years of full-time research experience related to one or more of these topics: environment-development issues, energy sector, climate policy, energy-economy modelling, climate resilience/ adaptation, or related topics.
- Excellent understanding of climate/ energy policy issues and ecosystem in India.
- Experience in the use of quantitative, qualitative, and participatory research methods.
- Well-versed in the use of SPSS/ R/ STATA for statistical analyses.
- Prior experience in designing and leading research programs.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with and engage team members from different disciplinary backgrounds and different levels of research experience.
- Strong writing skills demonstrated through publications related to natural resource management, climate mitigation, adaptation/ resilience, low-carbon transitions, development impacts, or related topics.
- Openness to design policy-relevant research activities using appropriate research methods.
- Well-organised with attention to detail and ability to manage multiple assignments in a timely manner.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to convey research findings to non-specialist audiences.
- Willingness to travel to project locations, organize/ participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences.
- Broad understanding of energy-economy modelling approaches and experience in using one or more modelling tools.
- Knowledge of systems thinking and systems mapping.
- Prior experience in using Vensim/ STELLA.
- Experience in the use of QGIS/ ArcGIS for spatial analyses.
- Prior experience in conducting stakeholder consultations and field-based research.
Salary and Benefits: 20,00,000 to 24,00,000 CTC PA
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 1 year (Extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Location: New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, India
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
To learn more and apply, click here.