Project Associate, Energy program, WRI
Who we are and what we do?
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, non-profit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, World Resources Institute puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
Program Overview for Energy
The objective of the WRI India energy program is to inform and guide India’s transition to cleaner energy. The program focuses on three inter-related aspects of this energy transition: enhancing energy access, scaling renewables among specific consumer categories, and achieving higher levels of energy and buildings efficiency. Our energy access work is specifically aimed at ensuring access to affordable and clean energy so as to improve socio-economic development in rural and remote regions of India. Through strong research, ground-level implementation experience, partnerships with key stakeholders and communicating our work, we seek to achieve impact at scale.
About your role:
WRI India’s energy program engages national and subnational stakeholders to accelerate energy efficiency in buildings. The program also works with states and cities on the clean energy transition. The program has ongoing work on buildings efficiency and urban energy transition in two states- Tamil Nadu and Kerala. WRI India is also leading a consortium of partners on a new multi-year, trans-sectoral initiative to assess energy transition preparedness and progress in Indian states through regular and systematic analysis of electricity and allied sector institutions, processes, and outcomes.
WRI’s Urban Efficiency and Climate (UEC) workstream works with cities on integrated climate action, air quality, buildings efficiency, sustainable urban cooling, and circular cities. WRI is also the implementing agency for the GEF-funded Zero Carbon Buildings Accelerator (ZCBA) which is working with countries and subnational jurisdictions on developing integrated roadmaps to building sector decarbonization.
The position will provide project management support to the ZCBA and other UEC initiatives engaging cities on climate action globally. The position will also provide research, analysis, and documentation support to the India energy program. This would involve supporting research on subnational and local energy transition including energy efficiency and driving clean energy actions in cities, in collaboration with other WRI programs and centers. The candidate will be given the unique opportunity of working across geographies with a multicultural, interdisciplinary and diverse team.
How your day will unfold:
• Under the guidance of the project manager and director, assist in tracking of deliverables, coordination with partners and stakeholders, reporting to funder, monitoring and evaluation activities and other daily task management activities.
• Keeping track of internal and external team meetings and follow-ups needed for driving the project forward.
• Work with the ZCBA project manager and technical expert to conduct research and analysis needed for providing technical assistance to partners and for the development of knowledge products and other deliverables.
• As directed by senior colleagues, conduct research and analysis on clean energy, energy efficiency, energy transitions, equity and inclusion and climate action to support ongoing and upcoming projects.
• Assist team on writing, communications and outreach on relevant topics as required by the program/project and under guidance of program communications team. Support with organizing events, webinars and workshops.
• Support development of concept notes, proposals and related documents for fund-raising efforts by conducting background research and writing.
• Support building WRI’s partnership with groups and organizations identified by as strategic by the program; reach out to and engage key stakeholders in the identified sectors across different geographies.
• Keep track of latest developments, news and updates globally and in India on energy sector and sharing with the team regularly.
• Travel to key project sites based on project or program needs
Qualification and Requirements we seek:
• Graduate or Post graduate degree in science, engineering, policy, or related fields
• 3 to 5 years of relevant experience in environment, public policy, or energy.
• Knowledge and interest in national and international policy discourse around climate action, buildings decarbonization, energy transition is necessary.
• Knowledge of project management tools and software like Asana/MS project is desirable.
• Technical and quantitative skills and some training in research methods are preferred. Strong research skills with a willingness to contribute to developing high quality knowledge products.
• Strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively in conversation and writing, including professional quality writing for research and communications products
• Willingness to travel on short notice, when needed by the project/program.
• Ability to respond to urgent requests from the team, proactively is an asset.
• Strong ability to brainstorm and think creatively about all elements of their work
• Ability to work cooperatively with others; to demonstrate flexibility in fulfilling assignments
• Fluency in English is a must. Proficiency in other languages is desirable.
Salary & Benefits: 6,50,000 to 7,50,000 CTC Per Annum
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Delhi/Bangalore/Mumbai/Chennai, India
Duration: 18 Months as term hire (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover letter explaining how your academic background and skills meet the requirements of this position.
- Curriculum vitae
- Writing samples
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do – from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.