Senior Consultant, Climate Change & Carbon Markets – HAMERKOP
This newly created senior consultant position will consist of growing and delivering a diverse range of stimulating consultancy assignments either in relation to energy access and/or forestry (depending on the candidate’s experience) in the context of international development and climate change mitigation.
You will be expected to collaborate actively with HAMERKOP’s consultants:
- on studies, analyses, assessment, formulation and technical studies related to energy access projects (notably with a strong emphasis on modern energy cooking solutions) or to forestry (e.g., management, conservation, restoration) to be funded through carbon mitigation-related financing mechanisms or taking place on the supply chain of large corporates.
- advise a range of international organisations, NGOs and governments on the opportunities related to carbon finance.
You will be expected to manage project assignments with various level of complexity, manage client relationship and manage more junior consultants at assignment-level.
Your duties will include:
- Supporting the delivery of client assignments: management and delivery of emission reduction projects formulation, implementation support and certification of improved cookstoves and forestry projects to Verra and the Gold Standard for NGOs and private project developers; climate change mitigation and adaptation projects feasibility and formulation for international organisations and governments; voluntary carbon market strategic advice for NGOs and the private sector.
- Supporting business development: identification of opportunities; networking; technical and commercial proposal drafting; concept note drafting; identifying and liaising with partners; sourcing of experts; and follow-up with prospects.
- Promote best practice: support clients make ambitious choices on their project design, implementation and certification and share this higher level of integrity through publication designed for our audience.
- Originating projects to be funded through carbon finance and the carbon markets: identification of credible implementation partners; structuring concept notes and business plans; project due diligence; project budget negotiation; pitching to financial sponsors; negotiating long-term emission reduction purchase and funding agreements.
- Keeping abreast of fast-developing and complex climate change policy and finance development (e.g., COPs, national and international legislations, etc.).
- Liaising with and building external relationships will be an important part of the role, with a requirement to liaise with project teams, clients, and representatives from partner organisations.
- Promoting HAMERKOP’s brand and credibility to external stakeholders through blog content creation and sharing.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- 8+ years of relevant experience (e.g., climate change, carbon management, international development, forestry consulting)
- 3+ years of previous consulting experience and producing reports
- BSc or Master in a technical field related to energy, energy access (engineering or social science), environmental science, forestry or agriculture
- Attention to detail, strong analytical and problem-solving skills and ability to produce well-presented, error-free results and reports
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to work autonomously
- Advanced knowledge of Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- A positive mindset, team spirit, an ability to work autonomously
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to supporting a team of more junior consultant in a growing and dynamic business
- Excellent project management skills and experience
- Spoken and written fluency in English
Desired Skills and Knowledge
- Working experience of geomatics and geospatial analysis
- Prior experience working in developing countries (ideally Africa or Southeast Asia) on climate change, energy or forestry issues
- Spoken and written fluency in a second language (ideally French) would be a strong advantage
- Knowledge and understanding of greenhouse gas emission accounting
- Prior experience with the carbon markets
- Experience of managing people
Offices are in London, with ability to travel internationally up to 5 times per year. Remote working can be considered but office attendance will be required.
Terms of employment
- This position is offered as a permanent position
- Hybrid working with access to London office
- 23 days paid holiday
- Bonus scheme, subject to company and individual performance
- The candidate must be based in the UK and/or have the right to work in the UK
We are currently looking for 1 or 2 senior consultants to start in Q2 and Q3 2023 and while there is no firm deadline to apply, a first batch of applications will be reviewed at the end of February and another one at the end of April.
Please send a single PDF document containing your CV (max 3 pages) and a 1-page value proposition letter (not a cover letter) explaining what you could bring to the team and the organisation.
HAMERKOP is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages all applicants to apply.
To learn more and apply, click here.