Senior Policy Officer, Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency, African Union Commission
Purpose of Job
Enables AU achieve divisional objectives in its various departments/ organs.
- Provide support in the preparation and implementation of the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan;
- Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans.
- Liaise with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and other stakeholders on relevant matters and ensure coordination and collaboration at all levels;
- Prepare and develop reports, budget and work programmes related to the functions of the Division;
- Provide support to develop resource mobilization strategy with close coordination with relevant stakeholders;
- Conduct complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AFREC’s internal and external uses;
- Liaise with the various divisions of AFREC and Departments/Units of the African Union Commission for coordination and alignment purposes;
- Prepare budgets and reports for the Division in accordance with relevant frameworks.
- Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required;
- Assist in developing and implementing AFREC’s programme on Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency which including coordinated support on policies formulation and legal frameworks development in order to build the African institutional and human capacities of Member States to increase investments in expanding utilization of Renewable Energy resoureces and improving Energy Efficiency in Africa.
- Initiate holistic continental, regional and national strategies for the development of Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency in Africa and prepare comprehensive policies and action plans for expanding utilization renewable energy and improving energy efficiency in residential, transport, industrial and service sectors in African, and ensure sustainability dimension in designing these strategies.
- Coordinate policy advisories and technical support for the African Member States and Pan African Institutions on Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency policies, legal frameworks and regulations, institutional reforms and strategic matter related to the development and investment.
- Prepare action plans that effectively address the problems and constrains arising from current approach for expanding the Renewable Energy resources and improving Energy Efficiency in the continent.
- Identify the potential areas of support to Member States and design the appropriate interventions for expending utilization of Renewable Energies and improving Energy Efficiency.
- Design and conduct a comprehensives capacity building programme to experts of Member states and promote the collaboration and cross boarders’ experiences sharing.
- Build partnership and collaboration with Member States, RECs, Pan – African Institutions, International Organizations, think – tanks, Investors, NGOs and any relevant stakeholders in to benchmark policy formulation in Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency in order to develop effective supports and interventions to the Member States in expanding utilization of Renewable Energy resources and improving Energy Efficiency in the continent.
- Coordinate preparation of policy briefs, studies, researches, reports and case studies in promoting Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency, attracting investment and providing advisory supports to relevant stakeholders in national, regional and continental level.
- Represent AFREC at workshops, conferences, meetings and seminars pertaining to Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency and provide guidance on issues related with AFREC’s work on this sector.
- Assist in mobilizing technical and financial support to the Member States for preparing and implementing projects and programmes on Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency.
- Keep abreast of global and regional development and trends in Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency policies and governance and its roles in developing African energy sector with special attention on the new policies related with climate change and energy transition.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A university Master’s Degree in Energy, Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency, Energy Economics, Energy Management and/or in related field in science and engineering with seven (7) years of experience out of which three (3) years at supervisory level.
- A university Bachelor degree in Energy, Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency, Energy Economics, Energy Management and/or a related field in sci three (3) years at supervisory level ence and engineering with ten (10) years of experience out of which five 5 years at supervisory level.
To learn more and apply, click here.