Senior Program Associate, Climate Program – World Resources Institute
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently, over 250 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Climate
At WRI India’s Climate Program, we focus on integrated solutions that can enable a low-carbon transition in India, while ensuring that the transition is equitable and just for its people and protects natural resources. Through applied research, the use of frameworks and tools, partnerships with key stakeholders and ground-level implementation, we seek to achieve impact at scale.
About your role:
India has submitted its first long-term low-emissions development strategy towards charting a low-carbon development pathway. This is a critical juncture for socio-economic planning that meets development goals, climate mitigation targets as well as strengthens climate resilience in the country. In this context, WRI India’s research and capacity building activities are aimed at generating knowledge and building capacity to inform and strengthen India’s low-carbon, climate resilient planning.
WRI India is looking for Senior Project Associates/ Project Associates for its Climate Program. The selected candidates will contribute to research, modelling, and capacity building activities related to India’s low-carbon development pathways. The positions offer a good opportunity to contribute to shaping the analysis of alternative low-carbon development pathways based on research and energy-economy modelling.
The selected candidates will work with the research team in developing sectoral roadmaps for different sectors (such as power, industry); thematic studies related to just transition/ climate resilience as well as developing/ analysing model scenarios on low-carbon development pathways. The candidates are also expected to contribute to the organisation of multistakeholder dialogues and workshops with diverse stakeholders including the government, industry, academia, civil society organisations, and think tanks. The dialogues and workshops will serve at platforms to identify and prioritise research questions, exchange knowledge and disseminate research findings.
The candidates should have a broad understanding of energy and climate landscape in the country and prior research and writing experience (either energy-economy modeling or quantitative research/ qualitative research on environment/ energy/ climate policy issues).
How you day will unfold:
The senior project associate/ project associate will be responsible for the following tasks.
- Contribute to research including energy-economy modelling, development of sectoral roadmaps, policy analysis, and thematic studies on topics such as just energy transition, climate resilience, and low-carbon technology impacts.
- Understand and interpret findings from energy-economy modelling in India in the context of low-carbon development pathways.
- Contribute to the development and co-creation of alternate climate policy scenarios for India in consultation with relevant stakeholders.
- Support data collection and analysis for energy-economy modelling initiatives within the team.
- Coordinate events for engagement with internal and external stakeholders through roundtables, seminars, workshops, policy dialogues, training, and other communication and outreach activities.
- Contribute to the production of event summary reports and proceedings.
- Support the development of tools to track and strengthen climate action planning.
- Publish research publications, thematic studies, low-carbon roadmaps, policy briefs, and blogs on topics related to long-term climate strategies, decarbonization, low-carbon sectoral roadmaps, sectoral transition strategies, and just transitions.
- Stay updated on the policy landscape, sectoral developments, and industry trends in relation to climate policy and just transitions.
Requirements and skills that we seek:
- Post graduate degree in environmental/ climate science, economics, public policy, engineering, statistics, urban/ environmental planning, development, or related subject.
- Minimum 2-7 years of full-time work experience in research roles related to one or more of these topics: energy-economy modelling, environment-development issues, energy sector, climate policy, emissions inventory, or related topics.
- Proficiency in quantitative and qualitative data analysis.
- Proficiency in the use MS Office: Excel, Word & Powerpoint.
- Comfort with quantitative data analysis using tools like R, SPSS, etc.
- Prior writing experience as demonstrated through published papers/journal articles related to quantitative analysis on climate change mitigation.
- Familiarity with public data sources related to energy, income and employment.
- Good oral communication skills.
- Good understanding of climate/ energy policy issues and ecosystem in India.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of teams.
- Willingness to travel to project locations and support the organisation of workshops and stakeholder consultations.
- Knowledge of systems thinking and systems mapping.
- Prior experience in using Vensim/ STELLA or R or Python.
- Experience in the use of QGIS/ ArcGIS for spatial analyses.
- Experience in conducting stakeholder consultations.
- Proactive and enthusiastic team player with a strong interest in climate/ energy policy issues in India.
Salary and Benefits: 11,00,000 to 13,00,000 CTC PA
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 1 year (Extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Location: New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, India
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
To learn more and apply, click here.